Talk

Advanced search

Can I defrost frozen cooked prawns, cook them in a curry, then refreeze the lefotvers?

(11 Posts)
Pendulum Fri 12-Jun-09 14:12:52

Probably a dumb question. I would have thought yes (provided that frozen leftovers are thoroughly defrosted and reheated etc), but back of packet says 'once thawed do not refreeze'.

Am I going to give us all food poisoning if I do this?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Fri 12-Jun-09 14:15:09

It is possible to give them food poisoning so I wouldn't.

PerfectPrefect Fri 12-Jun-09 14:16:16

You can with meat. I don't see why Prawns are any different.
<I wouldn't defrost do nothing with them and refreeze...but I would defrost, cook and freeze>

blametheparents Fri 12-Jun-09 14:16:17

No, because the prawns are cooked I do not think you could do this. You are basically re-heating them in making the curry.
I would defrost raw chicken (for eg), cook it and re-freeze it, but the difference is that the chicken is raw when you start.
Prawns also a bit dodgy imo.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Fri 12-Jun-09 14:16:35

Message withdrawn

Rubyrubyrubyinthegame Fri 12-Jun-09 14:16:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PerfectPrefect Fri 12-Jun-09 14:17:04

<oh yes didn't notcice that the prawns were cooked prior to original freezing>

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Fri 12-Jun-09 14:17:37

Message withdrawn

burningupinspeed Fri 12-Jun-09 14:18:37

Use only the amount of prawns you'll eat first time around - freeze the leftover curry without prawns - use the rest of the still-frozen prawns in it next time.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 12-Jun-09 14:18:46

No, I really wouldn't so that with prawns.

You are talking about already cooked ones but TBH I wouldn't even risk it with uncooked prawns.

Pendulum Fri 12-Jun-09 14:21:03

OK thanks I am convinced! You're right, I was thinking that I would do this with frozen chicken, fish etc- but the key difference is that the prawns are already cooked. Have put half the packet back in the freezer.

I am scared stiff of prawns, TBH- always feel as though I am taking my life (or my stomach) in my hands. But they are so tasty I can't resist.

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now