Talk

Advanced search

I REALLY need meal suggestions, please

(4 Posts)
HuffwardlyRudge Thu 11-Jun-09 07:02:06

I've been ill and am not quite at the 'enthusiastic about food' stage yet. Still a bit dry toast and orange squash.

Tomorrow (which is a day off here) I have people coming for lunch. It is a very old friend of my father's who I have not seen since I was 10, and his wife who I don't think I ever met. I am pleased they are coming, but a bit stuck on what to cook.

Maybe a Sunday roast, but it's 40+ degree heat here. What do you think. Could I do a Sunday roast light? How?

I'm quite a good cook, but just not in the food zone right now.

Friend's wife is either Thai or Indonesian or Filippina, so I don't want to do anything far Asian.

I'm vegetarian. I don't mind cooking meat though as long as there's food for me too.

I have a teeny kitchen and two young children, so am not about to start stuffing mushrooms or baking Alaskas.

I have quite a few veggies in the fridge and can get to the shops later. Lots of cauli that needs eating up.

What would you cook?

notamumyetbutoneday Thu 11-Jun-09 08:23:59

sunday roast light would be roasted chicken (poss breast rubbed with lemon, rosemary, olive oil etc) then left to go cold, served with baby roasted potatoes (hot or cold) and a range of salads.

Dessert- something light and refreshing like a lemon mousse or a trifle type thing?

OhBling Thu 11-Jun-09 09:25:10

I'd second the roast chicken at room temperature with salads and potatoes. Couscous made with pine nuts, courgettes, onion, lemon, garlic and chilli is a nice side dish for that. I make a sauce from olive oil, lemon juice and soy. Very nice. You can add cheese too if you want.

If you're feeling brave and you have all that cauliflower, a really good cauliflower cheese could be good, served with salad/other vegetables for the non meat eaters and a couple of sausages or grilled lamb chops for the meat eaters?

Otherwise my standby cooked meal when it's hot is grilled chicken pieces with salad. It's really easy, tasty and has a summer feel to it.

Is a barbeque out of the question?

HuffwardlyRudge Thu 11-Jun-09 10:11:50

Good idea. I'll roast a chicken and serve with an amazing cauli cheese and... something else. Something green and crunchy I guess. What would be perfect?

I love tomato salad with cauli cheese.

Couscous is good, but we're getting a bit beige with the chicken and the cauli - need red or green I reckon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now