Talk

Advanced search

Inspiration for my holiday menu please!

(7 Posts)
exasperatedmum Wed 10-Jun-09 14:16:11

I'm going on holiday next week - fortnight in a cottage in Devon. The last few years I gave NO thought to meal planning and ended up buying ready meals... This year with an eye on the budget and the hope of being more organised and healthy, I'm hoping to plan most of the meals in advance so that I can get to the supermarket once we get there, buy exactly what we need, and have a stress-free couple of weeks. I don't want to cook the tried-and-tested (ie boring) things we normally have though - need inspiration for fab new things. I've been looking on the Good Housekeeping website, but thought I'd ask here - what are your tried-and-tested favourites?

timmette Wed 10-Jun-09 14:42:39

What about chicken marinated in garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, and oregano and or thyme - then pop on barbeque or on grill with potato salad and salad -etc - makes for very tender chicken.

TheDevilWearsPenneys Wed 10-Jun-09 14:44:31

Rather than planning for every day you should check out the local shops, you may well find farm shops, bakers, delis etc and can buy things during the day.

exasperatedmum Wed 10-Jun-09 14:47:28

I'm sure there will be lots of fresh organic produce - but with a two year old and a three month old in tow, I want to know what we're having in advance (for most days anyway!) so that I don't end up panic buying... must seem really boring and restricted I know...

KatyMac Wed 10-Jun-09 14:50:15

Sausages in baguettes with fried red onions

Bacon sandwiches

Steak in baguettes with fried peppers/mushrooms/onions & soy sauce

OhBling Wed 10-Jun-09 14:50:44

And I'd consider a pre-arrival online shop. So that it's all delivered when you arrive - probably not the fresh stuff as if you're somewhere lovely in Devon there must be great places to get local produce, but your basic essentials like toilet paper and pasta would be great.

I love pasta with roasted tomoatoes - in any number of ways: roasted with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, chilli and herbs and tossed with spaghetti and parmesan; or roasted plan and mixed with pesto, avo and goats cheese.

Maybe use the opportunity to experiment with tarts, quiches and pies? Especially if you can find some local produce to fill them with?

Good salads - tomato, mozzarella and avo; chicken salad of some sort (I like to add peppers to any chicken salad for freshness, sweetness and crunch); thai beef salad; spinach with roasted butternut, feta and pine nuts etc?

Roasts that can be served at room temperature with piles of roasted vegetables, good salads etc?

My new favourite couscous dish that works well as a side with chicken or as the base of a chicken/prawn dish is to fry pine nuts, onion and thinly sliced courgettes in some olive oil. Add chilli, lemon, salt and pepper and then make up a dressing with olive oil, lemon juice and soy sauce. Delicious.

ChopsTheDuck Wed 10-Jun-09 14:55:07

I packed aborio and basmati rice, pasta, oil, and spices and herbs, onion/garlic/chilli/ginger then went shopping locally for things to go with them.

Made a few curries, lots of bbqs with salad, risotto, pasta bake with veg - all easy stuff. Actually I packed a huge pan too, never seem to get big enough ones on holiday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now