Talk

Advanced search

Favourite posh BOUGHT party nibbles?

(32 Posts)
franch Wed 10-Jun-09 12:07:52

It's for our South African spit roast party so can go for quite strong flavours (though not necessarily). Can be deli/supermarket/whatever. What should I get?

franch Wed 10-Jun-09 12:47:32

franch Wed 10-Jun-09 16:35:57

OhBling Wed 10-Jun-09 17:07:51

Do you mean purchased already assembled and just need to be put on plate?

Smoked fish pates at most supermarkets are okay, serve with bread/pitta bread.

A lot of delis will do you pre-made up nibbles like mozzarella wrapped with parma ham or the like.

Olives, obviously.

Also cheese selection.

If it's south african, you could organise some biltong to put out.

franch Wed 10-Jun-09 18:49:05

Yes that's what I mean OB. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've seen biltong in packets - doesn't look very appetising, have to admit I've never tried it. Are there better ways to buy it?

MacaroonIncident Wed 10-Jun-09 18:49:53

blinis
oatcakes and sslmon pate
or marks cornish cruncher chees out of the packet

whooosh Wed 10-Jun-09 18:51:08

Waitrose Entertain do some great canapes-not particularly South African but great none-the-less.

corblimeymadam Wed 10-Jun-09 18:58:25

Message withdrawn

MacaroonIncident Wed 10-Jun-09 18:59:14

Do some tiny bunny chows

lol

corblimeymadam Wed 10-Jun-09 18:59:16

Message withdrawn

pointydog Wed 10-Jun-09 19:03:44

nice olives

franch Wed 10-Jun-09 20:48:09

Oh no they def don't need to be South African belgianbun - just mentioned that to give a bit of context

Thanks all!

What's cornish cruncher cheese Macaroon? Mini bunny chows sound yummy actually if I could buy them rather than make them

franch Wed 10-Jun-09 20:49:39

Look Macaroon! [[http://homemadeheaven.blogspot.com/2009/04/baby-bunny-chows.html 'Nouvelle cuisine bunny chows'!!] (scroll down a bit)

franch Wed 10-Jun-09 20:51:02

Look Macaroon! 'Nouvelle cuisine bunny chows'!! (scroll down a bit)

MacaroonIncident Wed 10-Jun-09 22:38:58

LOl
its a type of chese marks do, has kind of crunchy bits in it

MacaroonIncident Wed 10-Jun-09 22:39:49

yum at link
I only know about BC because of a poem " everyhting changes" the kids at school were doing

janeite Wed 10-Jun-09 22:41:34

Cornish Crunch cheese (Waitrose) is the tastiest cheddar known to woman imho. It tastes like you have shards of glass in your mouth. Absolutely gorgeous with a rock-hard conference pear, a Granny Smith or a Garners' pickled onion although probably not sophisticated enough for a party in that context!

runawayquickly Wed 10-Jun-09 22:44:24

Ooh, I second or third the Waitrose Entrtn idea. Just picked up a free mag on my last trip there and used it to cut up and stick on paper plates with dh pretending we were having a party...(ok, long time till payday!) I was practically drooling!

OhBling Thu 11-Jun-09 09:12:36

Those biltong packs are okay, but not great. You need to find a deli, butcher or south african shop that sells it - they'll have fresh and you buy by weight. Where are you?

franch Thu 11-Jun-09 17:33:46

south London ohbling

OhBling Thu 11-Jun-09 18:22:20

Oh Franch <big south african hug> you are in a good place for biltong.

Okay, so I am not sure exactly where you are, but depending on how far south you are there will be any number of places to buy biltong. There are big SA shops in Wimbledon, Raynes Park and Putney (perhaps too far west?). There's a butcher in Cheam (I can confirm that) that sells biltong.

And this place seems to sell online - I've seen savanna shops around so they're legit I think.

if you're buying SA braai snacks, pick up some Ghost Pops while you're there. Hilarious crisps (kind of). wink

OhBling Thu 11-Jun-09 18:23:31

If you want authentic, buy mackerel pate but tell everyone it's snoek pate. Not entirely dissimilar and v popular in SA! grin

usedtoreadbooks Thu 11-Jun-09 19:12:05

Waitrose have delicious falafels - spinach or sweet potato or carrot - and spiced dips to go with.

ThingOne Thu 11-Jun-09 19:17:24

Nonono, those spinach and carrot felafel are vile, usedtoread.

blowbroth Thu 11-Jun-09 19:36:23

Has anyone checked out lidl's range of 'nibbles'. Things like stuffed vine leaves, cream cheese filled baby peppers, artichokes, delicious olives are all delicious for about half the price of anywhere else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now