Talk

Advanced search

Pink buttercream.

(14 Posts)
FabulousBakerGirl Wed 10-Jun-09 09:32:53

DS2 wants pink buttercream in his birthday cake. I am thinking make it as normal and mix in some blended red fruits - raspberries or strawberries. Will that work?

TIA.

forkhandles Wed 10-Jun-09 09:40:07

I would imagine that the raspberries would be better as their colour is stronger. But really wanted to say bless your DS2 for wanting pink icing! (my DS has a pink bike!)

SoupDragon Wed 10-Jun-09 09:44:10

It's tricky as the butter adds a yellow colour - it's very easy to end up with an orange tint.

SoupDragon Wed 10-Jun-09 09:44:56

Personally, I'd put white butter cream in and then use pink ordinary icing on top if he'd go for that instead.

stripeypineapple Wed 10-Jun-09 09:47:15

Whenever I try to put jam and then buttercream into the middle of a sponge the jam always bleeds into the buttercream and makes it go pink.

By clever deduction I would say you could use jam. smile

stripeypineapple Wed 10-Jun-09 09:49:28

The fruits would work too but you'll get pips. By using seedless jam you could avoid the pips.

FabulousBakerGirl Wed 10-Jun-09 09:51:10

Thank you all.

Good ideas.

Will buy everything suggested and then see what happens.

I am also grin that my DS wants pink.

It was DS1's favourite colour for a while when he was about 2-3 and now it has been green for the last few years.

FabulousBakerGirl Wed 10-Jun-09 17:50:45

He now says he wants blue icing hmm

LovingTheRain Wed 10-Jun-09 21:21:01

I love buttercream! blush
Can i come and lick the bowl when you're done icing the cake? grin grin

LovingTheRain Wed 10-Jun-09 21:21:32

oo meant to add that a tiny drop of red food colouring works too!

forkhandles Wed 10-Jun-09 21:28:58

FBG noooooo not blue...

<quickly thinks what foods are blue>

so that will be blueberry buttercream now

when is his birthday? by the time it comes he'll probably have chosen yellow or green!

FabulousBakerGirl Thu 11-Jun-09 08:24:09

Birthday is on Saturday.

I am making his cake on Friday night so what colour he chooses then will be the one he gets.

Anyone can lick the bowl. grin

LovingTheRain Fri 12-Jun-09 21:38:10

How did the cake making go? What colour did he choose? grin

TripleTroubleMuffin Sat 13-Jun-09 10:28:42

Forgot to post about the pink buttercream! I posted in my head. hmm

I made up normal buttercream and then added the strawberry jam until it was the colour I wanted. He wanted pink.

The cake looks amazing. An absolute overdose of pink and chocolate buttercream and chocolate bits and 100s and 1000s too. I am going to put some chocolate buttons on as well.

Might send kids home with PIL after. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now