Talk

Advanced search

breakfast cereal for just one year old - what do you give, where is that report that lists the highest sugars etc??

(19 Posts)
Janus Wed 10-Jun-09 09:18:18

DD3 seems to have gone off the baby cereal and so we're moving on to 'normal' cereal. She quite likes cheerios but a friend said this was very high in sugar so maybe I should avoid (although saying that mine could do with a bit of 'meat' on her bones!). We do toast and fruit, yogurt and fruit not tried scrambled eggs yet, might give that a go. Any other ideas.
I would also really like to look at the report publishes a few years ago which labelled every cereal and sugar content, etc. Can't for the life of me find it by googling but not sure what to google, does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Thanks.

GrapefruitMoon Wed 10-Jun-09 09:26:36

Don't know the report you mentioned but I think cereals like Weetabix and Ready Brek are ok at that age, they have very little added to them. I let mine have Cheerios - maybe more as an easy "snack" to transport (they had them dry).

clemette Wed 10-Jun-09 09:26:58

Not sure, but if you go for cereals that are 100% grain (eg weetabix or shredded wheat) then there is no added sugar at all.

Janus Wed 10-Jun-09 10:08:39

Thanks ladies, I have tried ready brek, weetabix and shredded wheat and she hates the lot! I didn't add anything to them though, do you add, say, mashed banana or something to make them taste less like cardboard?! Grapefruit, mine has hers mostly dry too, she loves picking them up. I think I need to weigh up the next best thing to weetabix, etc. We had Gorilla puffs this week which she relatively likes but they do have 27g sugar in 100g which is blooming high.
There was a complete chart telling you every brand and rating them with the highest sugar at the top going to the lowest at the bottom (obviously shredded wheat etc being at the bottom). Can't think who did it now, it's really bugging me!

clemette Wed 10-Jun-09 10:11:20

We add mashed banana, frozen blueberries, chopped apricots or sometimes even smoothie instead of milk.
DD (now 4) has a drop of honey on her ready brek but has the rest of them with milk alone (and wheetos as a special treat on a Sunday!)

lollyheart Wed 10-Jun-09 10:11:31

My dc like weetabix and readybrek with a fruit pot mixed into it to make it taste better.

Umlellala Wed 10-Jun-09 10:20:05

weetabix with banana - though my little ones like it without anything.

normal porridge oats/hot oats like readybrek - with banana and cinnamon, or frozen berries. Yum.

We do have cornflakes/rice crispies/got multigrain shapes at the mo. Not too fussed about too much sugar though really. Rather that than sweeteners.

Umlellala Wed 10-Jun-09 10:23:34

I know the report you mean. I think it may have been Which, so you can't read it unless a subscriber.

[[http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/apr/29/breakfast-cereal-survey-health-f ood here is an article about it)

Umlellala Wed 10-Jun-09 10:25:04

Going Against the Grain Report here

psychomum5 Wed 10-Jun-09 10:31:13

does it really matter if she has some cereal that has sugar in it, honestly??

sugar isn;t great for teeth admitted, but we do still actually require it in the same way as we need a certain amount of fat and salt and carbs to be able to grow and function properly.

I wouldn;t fret too much. if the other food you give her are low sugar, some in the morning in her cereal isn;t going to cause life-long problems.

Meglet Wed 10-Jun-09 10:31:40

My dc's have oatibix (easier to clean than weetabix as it doesn't set like glue grin), and they have either some banana, bluberries or raspberries in it. I buy the frozen berries as it saves waste and is cheaper,I just defrost a few in the fridge overnight. And they have a bit of toast with either decent marmalade (no sugar so its no sticky) or a whisp of marmite on it. DS has diluted smoothie too.

blowninonabreeze Wed 10-Jun-09 10:35:10

porridge here,

And if you add soft fruit before you cook it (usually blueberries in our house) they explde in the microwave and flavour it really nicely.

DD1 is 3 and has had porridge nearly every morning of her life since she was weanedblush DD2 (1) looks set to follow in her footsteps!

Janus Wed 10-Jun-09 10:35:16

Fab, knew I did the online which subscription for something!!! That's a really good list, shocking that something like 'Special K' is a red light when they bang on about it being an excellent part of a calorie controlled diet.
Will try the ready brek/weetabix thing again with banana and/or berries and lollyheart what do you mean by a 'fruit pot' something like the Ella sachets you can buy of fruit purees?
I don't mind her having cheerios, etc, too but want to try for a relatively healthy breakfast for the majority of the week. She has been known to have a bit of pain au choc at the weekend when we all have it on a Saturday morning so I'm not that strict but just want to combine healthy with the odd treat.
Thanks ladies!

likessleep Wed 10-Jun-09 13:26:17

Also, I sometimes look in the gluten free section in the supermarket. They sometimes have sugar free puffs type cereal.

VoodooApocalypse Wed 10-Jun-09 13:27:53

he has weetabix one day, oatibix another day
he is 10.5mths.

will offer rice crispies and cornflakes soon when he has more teeth!

dd (nearly 3) has cornflakes or super-duper-hooper-loopers ie. cheerios.

giantkatestacks Wed 10-Jun-09 13:34:23

Mine likes malties - the morrisons version of shreddies (ie not the nestle ones) they are medium in terms of sugar and salt. I worry much more about the salt than the sugar content tbh.

lollyheart Wed 10-Jun-09 20:38:13

I use Frutapura fruit pots, i think cow and cate do them aswell, You will find them in the baby food section in the supermarket.

My 2yr old has a pot for pudding sometimes.

kalo12 Wed 10-Jun-09 20:40:43

oat bran and millet rice flakes from natures path or porridge

lollyheart Wed 10-Jun-09 20:41:19

And it is a fruit puree in a pot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now