Talk

Advanced search

First birthday Party

(11 Posts)
Momdeguerre Wed 10-Jun-09 05:25:26

Hi,
Would love to know what foods would be good for a first birthday party? About 15-20 kids mostly aged 1 ish but a handful aged between 2 and 9. In addition to their parents.

Have hired huge village hall and all of the toys for a local playgroup along with a ball pit.Party is between 1 and 4.

No activities planned and have a kitchen available to make tea/coffe/heat stuff.

I don't plan to do much for parents - tea, coffee, nibbles etc but need some ideas for easy party food for children this young. I know they won't eat much but am not sure what to provide?

Any help would be ace!!Party is mid July.

JammyQueenOfTheSewers Wed 10-Jun-09 10:18:40

For DD's 1st birthday last year I made some cream cheese sarnies, some ham sarnies, and we had strawberries and birthday cake. But it was only us, plus 2 of her nearly-1-year-old friends and their mums.

For her 2nd birthday party this Friday (with 9 little guests plus mums) I am planning to put out ham sandwiches, marmite sandwiches, babybel cheeses, plus tomatos, crisps, biscuits and strawberries, have plenty of mini-milk ice creams in the freezer and birthday cake to take home.

Have fun!

JammyQueenOfTheSewers Wed 10-Jun-09 21:59:24

You're welcome!

Momdeguerre Thu 11-Jun-09 09:54:34

Thanks for the ideas - don't want to make it too complicated or unhealthy either as am not sure I would want my LO stuffed full of sugar etc

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 12-Jun-09 11:35:34

ive got a 1yr birthday party next week, with 8 1 and under, and then 8 2/3yrs and think 12adults

i was planning to do the usual sandwiches (cheese/jam/ham/marmite etc), grapes, carrot sticks, sausage rolls, cocktail sausages, crisps

as well as then biscuits/cakes afterwards

as part is at lunchtime i also need to feed adults

so will do either a french stick, or those bake in oven rolls and then a choice of pate&phili, pizza cut up,crips and dips and they help theirselves

i have done 2 pass the parcels,one for 1 and under and one for 2/3 as well as got a prize for musical bumps

have fun

Momdeguerre Sat 13-Jun-09 18:36:33

Like the idea for the adults foods - was not planning on putting out much for the mums and dads - am also still debating whether to offer wine or not? Feels a bit weird about offering alcohol at a kids party? Would Pimms be a good alternative?

alittlebitshy Sat 13-Jun-09 18:59:46

we've never offered alcohol at children's parties! no need to. It is a party for the chilren after all. Yes it can be good to have some nibbles and soft drinks for the parents, but absolutely no need for booze.

bigchris Sat 13-Jun-09 19:11:31

no I woouldnt bother with alcohol, just tea and coffee at that time would be fine
re the sugar thing, well you could put out loads of cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks and hummous but with a party going up to kids age 9 you'll probably take most of it home so I'd stick to things you know will get eaten - crisps, sausage rolls, chocolate fingers etc

hf128219 Sat 13-Jun-09 19:14:31

I did an Afternoon Tea - cheese, ham, smoked salmon and cucumber sandwiches, scones, jam and clotted cream and a victoria sponge.

Served with cups of tea, water, orange juice and champagne.

Momdeguerre Sun 14-Jun-09 06:53:00

The afternoon tea sounds way too good for the kids - i want it!!

My DH is the one who is keen on having a few beers available for the dads but I must admit that I am not very keen.

Thanks for all the ideas and advice - party is in July but I do love to plan!!

kappa Fri 24-Jun-11 14:10:17

My daughter will be 2 next month and she's having a party with 15 or so of her friends. The few parties that she has been to have served alcohol to the adults, one even had a bar.
I don't know many of her friends parents and I feel a bit uncomfortable about serving alcohol. I don't want to seem ungenerous though, what's the form?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now