Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas for bite sized appetisers for a BBQ

(24 Posts)
MmeLindt Tue 09-Jun-09 21:25:34

We are having a party for DH's birthday next week.

The plan is to have a champagne (well, fizzy wine from the local vineyard) reception and offer some appetisers.

Nothing too fussy or requiring cutlery. Any ideas?

MmeLindt Tue 09-Jun-09 21:51:43

And can anyone think of an idea how I can make lots of wee quiches. Do I need a special baking tray for that?

bigchris Tue 09-Jun-09 21:53:10

pringles or kettle chips?!!

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 09-Jun-09 21:54:50

Have you got a bun tray or a muffin tray? You could use that to make little quiches.

Or, slice up a baguette, and make crostini

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 09-Jun-09 21:56:14

some Jamie Oliver ideas

cookielove Tue 09-Jun-09 21:59:15

i'm sure there is lots of way you could do cheats for mini quiches and such stuff, they have all escaped me for now

janeite Tue 09-Jun-09 22:00:46

You can make tiny quiches in bun-cases, like you would jam tarts.

MmeLindt Tue 09-Jun-09 22:04:16

BIWI
I have that book, will get it out and have a look. Thanks.

I have a muffin tray but that would make the quiches too big. I wnat them bite sized.

Lol BigChris. I am aiming for a wee bit more sophisticated than Pringles.

MmeLindt Tue 09-Jun-09 22:05:29

When you say bun-cases do you mean paper cases?

Would be footery but good.

Could I prepare them in advance and freeze them, do you think?

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 09-Jun-09 22:13:15

I have a mini muffin tin - sorry, not much help to you! - you can get them from Pampered Chef. I don't know if you can get them online?

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 09-Jun-09 22:14:27

look!

PaulaYatesBiggestFan Tue 09-Jun-09 22:14:46

waitrose do a lovely fresh goats cheese - served on a toast with rocket and toasted seeds - yum

janeite Tue 09-Jun-09 22:17:11

Not paper cases just a metal bun case ie: smaller than a muffin tin - the kind you'd make jam tarts and mince pies in. Yes you could freeze them but the pastry might go a bit soggy.

MmeLindt Tue 09-Jun-09 22:18:25

That looks good, BIWI but I am not likely to get it in time for the party. The postal service to Switzerland is very slow. Might look for one when I am in Scotland at the weekend. Lakeland might do them.

PaulaYates
I am abroad so no Waitrose nearby, but I might pinch their recipe. What kind of seeds?

GossipMonger Tue 09-Jun-09 22:19:38

I would do the following canapes

tiger prawns and grapes on a cocktail stick

Half a quail egg and smoked salmon on a cocktail stick

Asparagus spear wrapped in cream cheese sliced brown bread

Cheese straws

Cocktail sausages

Place them on a platter with lots of fresh parsley and they will look fab!

whooosh Tue 09-Jun-09 22:21:38

Asparagus wrapped in parma ham?
Blanch asparagus (if finishing on griddle or barbeque) or cook till cruncy.Cool in cold water then wrap in parma ham.Scrummy and can be made the day before.

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 09-Jun-09 22:23:40

Cube of mozzarella, dipped in pesto, with a cherry tomato - on a cocktail stick (I sometimes halve the tomato and sandwich the cube of mozzarella between the two halves).

Parmesan crisps - coarsely grate parmesan, place a small dollop of cheese on a non-stick baking tray and put in a hot oven till it melts and browns slightly.

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 09-Jun-09 22:24:58

Devils on horseback - stuff a prune with an almond, wrap in streaky bacon, skewer on a cocktail stick and roast until the bacon is crispy

You can do a low carb version using just bacon and a waterchestnut

MmeLindt Tue 09-Jun-09 22:33:10

Yum, some fab ideas. Will definately do the tomato/mozzarella thing and the asparagus sounds good too. And the prawns.

Off to bed now, thanks for all the help.

usedtoreadbooks Wed 10-Jun-09 09:38:30

Sorry I'm late with this, but you could also try things rolled up with ricotta or cream cheese: salami, ham or smoked salmon are all nice.

MmeLindt Wed 10-Jun-09 14:46:54

Oh, good idea. Not to late at all, party is not till next week. Thanks.

Blackduck Wed 10-Jun-09 14:57:12

I have always wanted to do these

MmeLindt Thu 11-Jun-09 08:48:12

Blackduck
They are FAB and I can make them today and freeze them. Thank you.

Delia has some great recipes but I do find the website a bit unwieldy. I actually searched the website for that kind of recipe and did not find it.

Blackduck Sat 13-Jun-09 17:49:24

There is a section in her Book Three that covers doing a large buffet meal and they are in there......that's why I knew about them and knew what to look for! Let me know how they go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now