Talk

Advanced search

can i cook frozen seafood without defrosting or will i die?

(9 Posts)
beaniebaby25 Tue 09-Jun-09 18:22:30

I've a big bag of frozen seafood (squid rings, prawns and mussels) and quite fancy doing a nice tomatoey-chilli sauce with some spaghetti. grin

The bag says to defrost in the fridge for eight hours before eating hmm

They're already cooked, just frozen, so can i not just put them straight into a frying pan? or is this asking for trouble?

alarkaspree Tue 09-Jun-09 18:25:34

I would cook them straight from frozen. You definitely won't die, although I suspect your squid rings will go very rubbery.

psychomum5 Tue 09-Jun-09 18:28:15

I put the frozen seafood in a bowl, pout over some still hot water from the kettle, they defrost in about 10mins, and as long as you eat them/use them straight away, they will be fine.

I am still alive, and I defrost like this all the time

ilovehamsters Tue 09-Jun-09 18:36:08

god no don't defrost with boiling water !!

"Food must be kept at a safe temperature during "the big thaw." Foods are safe indefinitely while frozen. However, as soon as food begins to defrost and become warmer than 40 °F, any bacteria that may have been present before freezing can begin to multiply.

Foods should never be thawed or even stored on the counter, or defrosted in hot water. Food left above 40 °F (unrefrigerated) is not at a safe temperature.

Even though the center of the package may still be frozen as it thaws on the counter, the outer layer of the food is in the "Danger Zone," between 40 and 140 °F – at temperatures where bacteria multiply rapidly.

When defrosting frozen foods, it's best to plan ahead and thaw food in the refrigerator where food will remain at a safe, constant temperature – 40 °F or below.

There are three safe ways to defrost food: in the refrigerator, in cold water, and in the microwave.

psychomum5 Tue 09-Jun-09 18:37:48

I didn;t say boiling.....I said still hot

beaniebaby25 Tue 09-Jun-09 18:40:10

thanks everyone - must admit that when i do frozen prawns on their own i would usually pour some warm water on them which does the job, i was just a bit scared about the mussels and squid blush

i will give it a go then... and if worse comes to the worst, a day off work wouldn't be terrible wink

christiana Tue 09-Jun-09 18:43:43

Message withdrawn

psychomum5 Tue 09-Jun-09 18:44:01

I will admit to never eating the muscles when I defrost them.

only tho because I am convinced that the sand is still crunching inside of them....

ilovehamsters Wed 10-Jun-09 13:12:43

I worked in a restaurant and health and safety forbid us to defrost seafood using warm water ..... just passing on what they suggest. In the end we had to stop selling them as we didn't have the space to defrost in the fridge for hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now