Talk

Advanced search

What can I make with a huge bunch of flat leaf parsley?

(19 Posts)
NoTart Tue 09-Jun-09 18:22:06

I´m afraid most will be dead if I just use it up in my normal dishes..

sagacious Tue 09-Jun-09 18:22:53

Fish pie uses a lot

sagacious Tue 09-Jun-09 18:23:24

Or freeze it

MmeLindt Tue 09-Jun-09 18:24:06

Pesto?

francagoestohollywood Tue 09-Jun-09 18:29:57

chop it and freeze it, you can use it whenever you need.

maria1665 Tue 09-Jun-09 18:33:36

Salad. Parsley leaves taste fantastic in a salad, just use instead of, or in addition to normal salad leaves. Simple olive oil and vinegar dressing.

NoTart Tue 09-Jun-09 18:34:06

Í´m not keen on frozen parsley, somehow mine always seems too wet and unappetizing.. Am I doing something wrong?!

I like the pesto idea, I normally only make pesto with either basil or sundried tomatoes.. Recipe for parsley pesto please!

Have a few fish pie recipes and like it, nice idea too!

wingandprayer Tue 09-Jun-09 18:35:38

Hugh FW made parsley pesto on his show earlier this week. Might be online somewhere?

ScummyMummy Tue 09-Jun-09 18:38:03

Parsley pesto

Omlettes are good with lots of parsley too.

ScummyMummy Tue 09-Jun-09 18:39:21

More parsley recipes/ideas from BBC food

NoTart Tue 09-Jun-09 18:40:16

Parsley pest looks very fast and easy. Is it good with just pasta? Should I add anything else? Would it go well with basil? I have quite a lot of basil too..

janeite Tue 09-Jun-09 18:41:12

Taboulleh - yum.

StirlingTheStrong Tue 09-Jun-09 18:41:46

I freeze breadcrumbs with lots of chopped up parsley in them and then use them to cover small chicken fillets and shallow fry - Lovely!

NoTart Tue 09-Jun-09 18:42:15

ok, mouth is now watering and I´ve already had dinner! Thanks!

ScummyMummy Tue 09-Jun-09 18:44:27

Basil is the usual pesto herb, isn't it? I bet a mixed basil and parsley pesto, perhaps with a few walnuts thrown in to the mix, would be super yum. Pesto is delicious with just pasta. Also nice spread on fish or chicken. It will keep for a while in the fridge- cover it tightly though or it could taint other food with its garliciness.

francagoestohollywood Tue 09-Jun-09 19:15:28

No, I don't think you are doing anything wrong notart. Just chop it and put in a freezer bag. When you need it, just add it from frozen (you can add it for instance to oven baked fish or pasta sauces).
Nigella has a great simple recipe for pasta that needs lots of parsley at the end. Put bacon bits in an oven tray with olive oil and lots of garlic. Put in the oven. Cook pasta. Dress the pasta with the crunchy bacon and lots of parsley.

usedtoreadbooks Wed 10-Jun-09 09:23:04

Salsa verde - whizz up lots of parsley, about half the amount of mint, olive oil, lemon juice, capers, anchovies, salt, pepper and a dab of dijon mustard. Delicious with all kinds of meat and fish, and boiled new potatoes.

streakybacon Sun 14-Jun-09 10:34:51

Tip for freezing herbs. Don't chop them first, just break off the leaves/stems you want and put them in a bag in the freezer. When they're rock hard, squish them up quickly between your hands to break them down.

When you chop them first you release the sap and that's what makes them wet and soggy when you come to use them. It's best to use fresh though if you put them in salads, but frozen are great for cooked recipes.

NoTart Sun 14-Jun-09 15:42:26

That´s really good too know Streaky, I´ll give that a go next time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now