Talk

Advanced search

rice for 8 month old

(11 Posts)
scottishmumto1 Tue 10-May-05 12:46:06

i am wondering how to make rice to mix in with puree pear. do i use normal milk, or her formula milk. any tips would be very appreciated.

kama Tue 10-May-05 12:51:37

Message withdrawn

kama Tue 10-May-05 12:52:14

Message withdrawn

LIZS Tue 10-May-05 13:16:55

Think you could use either but if it is the first time she's had it best stick to what she is used to.

darlingbud Tue 10-May-05 13:19:36

use baby rice with her formula milk. Best to stay clear of full fat milk till 12 months old.

moondog Tue 10-May-05 13:21:59

Eh??? I've been using full fat regular milk in ds's food since she was about 7 mths with no problems. Also been eating tonnes of plain yoghurt (not the rip off,costanarmandaleg 'baby' ones)since then.
Completely b/fed until then.

hermykne Tue 10-May-05 13:24:58

if its puding rice that u are baking,u can used cows milk or soya milk , my ds is 9mths and gets it, and he normally cant take either in its raw state.

Prufrock Tue 10-May-05 14:00:37

I'm sorry kama and darlingbud but that is wrong - from 6 months cows milk is perfectly OK to be given in food. You should only exercise caution if there is a history of dairy allergies.

Having said that, if you are formula feeding I would probably use formula if it was convienient (ie, wouldn't bothe to make it up specially but would use a it of a regular bottle) If it's baby rice, you can just mix in at room tempertaure, if pudding rice, cook for time on packet.

Adn tbh, at 8 months I wouldn't bother giving baby rice- it tastes like wallpaper paste. If you want to make fruit purees more substantial you could just mix with unsweetened natural yogurt

kama Tue 10-May-05 23:27:56

Message withdrawn

zebraX Tue 10-May-05 23:45:45

The link to Type I diabetes is hugely controversial, IIRC, the AAP say there is a link between early ingestion of cow's milk and developing Type I diabetes, the Juvenile Diabetes Assoc. of America (or whatever they have renamed themselves to) say that there isn't a link. There is a massive 5-year study going on (...in Canada among native peoples, but I think it's an international study) to try to get a more definitive answer.

Giving formula milk (based on cow's milk) would be just as bad as simple cow's milk, I thought, if you do think the link exists.

Prufrock Wed 11-May-05 14:03:57

NOt giving cows milk for a drink is not because cows milk will harm a baby, but because it doesn't supply all that the baby needs - formula is cows milk based with added ingredients to make it as close as possible to breast milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now