Talk

Advanced search

Have dd's friend coming to tea on Thurs, she has Coeliac disease and diabetes - what do I cook?

(24 Posts)
Rhubarb Tue 09-Jun-09 13:57:44

I'm terrified of poisoning her or giving her an allergic reaction!

I got some choc cookies that were gluten free, etc and then realised I couldn't give them to her because of her diabetes!

I just need a few simple meal suggestions please.

DeepGoat Tue 09-Jun-09 14:00:18

ask her mother?

how bout a nice chickeny thing with potatoes just remember not to add sauce with flour!

polenta cake can be lovely.

AppleAndBlackberry Tue 09-Jun-09 14:03:21

Something with mashed potatoes or chips like homemade meatballs or gluten free sausages? Peas/carrots/sweetcorn? Fruit or plain yogurt for afterwards?

GooseyLoosey Tue 09-Jun-09 14:05:50

As her mum what she likes - I always ask this for new visiting children anyway. Be up front that you have no experience of cooking for this kind of dietary needs and you don't want to give her the wrong thing!

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 09-Jun-09 14:05:56

Burgers or chicken with chips/baked potato and peas (sweetcorn is quite high carb). Sugar free jelly for pud, with cream or a tiny bit of ice cream.

FaintlyMacabre Tue 09-Jun-09 14:06:25

The cookies will probably be fine - my DH has diabetes/coeliac disease and is forever scoffing biscuits. Check with her Mum/Dad but I wouldn't worry.
As above, anything potato/rice based is a good bet.

MatNanPlus Tue 09-Jun-09 14:08:38

Diabetic ice cream is yummy

DeepGoat Tue 09-Jun-09 14:10:35

weirdly not all ice cream is gluten free.

Rhubarb Tue 09-Jun-09 14:13:00

How about egg fried rice with chicken?

Or chicken and chips? Bit dry though.

DeepGoat Tue 09-Jun-09 14:13:58

chicken adn chips would be good!

Rhubarb Tue 09-Jun-09 14:15:07

What sauce? Chicken and chips on its own is a bit dry.

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 09-Jun-09 14:16:55

Ketchup! (but double check is gluten free)

NorbertDentressangle Tue 09-Jun-09 14:20:19

DDs best friend has Coeliacs.

When she comes to tea I tend to do baked potatoes with various fillings (ratatouille, cheese and beans, tuna mayo etc). Or gluten free sausages.

With things like beans check the label in the supermarket -some are clearly labelled Suitable for Coeliacs (but I can't remember which, sorry).

Check things like tomato ketchup too as these can have hidden gluten in them -it tends to be used as a thickening agent in a lot of things.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 09-Jun-09 14:21:22

PS -what is the correct terminology please -is it that someone has or is coeliac?

Rhubarb Tue 09-Jun-09 14:24:23

Has. Coeliac doesn't define the person, it's a condition that they have.

DeepGoat Tue 09-Jun-09 14:26:38

marinade chicken in some sort of yogurty lemony stuff?

Rhubarb Tue 09-Jun-09 14:26:38

Ketchup is Heinz, it says it has no artificial colours, flavours, preservatives or sweetners and is reduced salt and sugar. But it contains lycopene?

I thought cheese was a big no-no?

Rhubarb Tue 09-Jun-09 14:27:41

Ok, change of plan, how about egg fried rice, with chicken and veg, in a lemon and parsley marinade?

GrimmaTheNome Tue 09-Jun-09 14:32:37

lycopene is the stuff in tomatoes thats good for you!

Cheese should be fine - no gluten, and its no problem for diabetics.

Rhubarb Tue 09-Jun-09 14:34:45

Oh bloody hell, course it is Grimma! Duh!

I'll mention a couple of meal plans to her mum, to see if she'll eat them. Thanks guys!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 09-Jun-09 14:35:22

While rice is fine for coeliac disease, it can be rather high GI which isn't so good for diabetes. A bit should be OK but I would think you need to have a higher proportion of protein and veg than you might normally.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 09-Jun-09 14:36:09

That sounds great (rice, chicken etc)

Re: has/is Coeliacs -I always thought it was has but I've heard lots of people referring to people like DD's friend as "X is coeliac" so had started to doubt myself. Thanks for clearing it up.

Rhubarb Tue 09-Jun-09 14:54:40

Really Grimma?

Norbert, people do that, very annoying! They'll say "such and such is Downs" and I want to scream "No! He's NOT Downs, his name is X and he merely has the condition of Downs Syndrome, it does NOT dictate the person that he is!"

And of course then point out the grammatical error in what they say.

NorbertDentressangle Tue 09-Jun-09 15:05:28

Of course! It never occured to me that its basically the same as the mistake people make over the "is Downs" thing.

I always get wound up when people get that wrong too.

I guess I was thinking along the lines of wondering if it was like someone "being" Diabetic .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now