Talk

Advanced search

home-made ice-cream. I'm thinking...

(15 Posts)
midnightexpress Tue 09-Jun-09 12:56:24

We've got a cheapo ice-cream maker - one of the ones where you freeze the middle bowl first and then stick it in the machine.

Anyhoo, it's usually gathering dust. I'm thinking, since you are supposed to make a custard as the basis of ice cream, could I throw in a tub of that posh ready-made custard, perhaps with some fruit or other flavouring and make ice cream?

Whaddyareckon? Would it work? has anyone tried it?

smellymel Tue 09-Jun-09 14:24:16

i often use ready made custard and it works fine.

Overmydeadbody Tue 09-Jun-09 14:34:33

yes of course it will work.

midnightexpress Tue 09-Jun-09 14:35:42

Oh good - thank you. What do you flavour it with smellymel?

ConstantlyCooking Tue 09-Jun-09 14:36:13

The quick ice cream I make is one tin evap milk, i tin condensed milk and vanilla extract. The DCs love it. Also sometimes just a large pot of yog.

midnightexpress Tue 09-Jun-09 14:39:14

Oh god that sounds good. I lurve condensed milk, but have so far managed to steer my children clear of it (they're still small). Frozen yogurt though, that is a good idea.

ConstantlyCooking Tue 09-Jun-09 14:44:23

I still think it is probably better than cheap supermarket stuff full of emulsifiers, thickeners and non-dairy animal fats! Or so I tell myself...

mychildrenarebarmy Tue 09-Jun-09 15:23:48

see if you can get hold of a copy of the ben and jerrys ice cream recipe book. the base recipes in there are not cooked custard ones. of course this means the ones with eggs in have to be eaten within a week being raw eggs but you'd just have to struggle through with that. wink

midnightexpress Tue 09-Jun-09 17:19:12

Oh yes, my cousin has got that one mychildrenarebarmy. I think I could cope, though it would be hard, obviously. Not sure about raw eggs and small children, but hey. Maybe DP and I will just have to eat it all.

Constantlycooking, you're right of course. Condensed milk far preferable to whipped fat. Far preferable to many things in fact.

<tummy starting to rumble>

Right, I'm off to dust down the ice cream maker.

mychildrenarebarmy Tue 09-Jun-09 17:50:33

It does also have egg free ones so IF you felt that the little ones NEEDED ice cream then you could make those too. I do both versions as my DS is allergic to eggs.

meltedmarsbars Tue 09-Jun-09 22:08:31

When you have made vanilla icecream, stir some sweetened sieved raspberry puree into it before putting in freezer: raspberry ripple.

OR

chopped preserved ginger and the syrup

OR

Make cheescake biscuit base (plain, or choc or ginger) the tip rasp ripple icecream into it and freeze - frozen icecream cake - delicious party dessert.

smellymel Tue 09-Jun-09 22:11:13

i melt some white choc then mix with double cream, cool and mix with custard. very yummy. also stir in some choc chips, crumbled flake, etc. so many possibilities!

sendacow Wed 10-Jun-09 11:42:41

we had a go at making a lime and coconut one recently - it was sublime! have a go at experimenting with different flavours, thats the joy of having your own, you can try almost anything :-)

midnightexpress Wed 10-Jun-09 11:44:10

Also good is to put some malted drink - Horlicks or Ovaltine, the choc versions, in with bashed up maltesers.

Might try that with me custard.

Lime and coconut sounds scrumptious.

ninedragons Wed 10-Jun-09 12:40:14

We have one of those machines. In our pre-DC days we used to make frozen Bloody Marys and frozen Mojitos, which were always hugely popular with our also pre-DC mates.

Oooh, you could make frozen Snowballs. As cocktails they're beyond naff but I suspect frozen they'd be a whole different experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now