Talk

Advanced search

Table manners / cutlery / general eating advice please

(6 Posts)
tvaerialmagpiebin Mon 08-Jun-09 20:15:32

My ds is 2.8 and recently has become a real PITA at the table. He puts his feet on the table, won't use his fork, bangs his cutlery on the table, tries to use his knife to slice his leg, gets off his chair, won't eat unless I spoon it in, etc. etc.

What can I do? He has never been a good eater or sleeper and I am totally paranoid that if I just say - here is your dinner, eat it and if it's not gone in 20 mins that's it, then he will a) starve and b) not sleep.

I try not to get wound up but I do and I feel really cross. I am not so bothered by him eating with his fingers but it is the fidgeting, feet on table stuff that really annoys me.

Anyone got any suggestions.........thanks.

bigchris Mon 08-Jun-09 20:18:06

If he puts his feet on the table take his dinner away
Take the knife away completely
my 2.8 dd isnt allowed a knife yet, my 5 year old is only just mastering the art of using one!
I don't mind if dd eats with her fingers but smearing food on the table and gettign up and down results in me taking her plate away until she eats nicely

StirlingTheStrong Mon 08-Jun-09 22:05:24

Agree with bigchris - Dont give a knife, they dont need one at that age.

My, nearly 5 yr old, only gets a knife if she really needs it - it is just used as a weapon otherwise smile

tvaerialmagpiebin Tue 09-Jun-09 18:19:03

Thanks ladies. It is only a child's knife, the sort that comes in a set with a fork and spoon. But I take the point. If I take his plate away he is quite happy to not eat - and then does not sleep.....

BethAndHerBrood Tue 09-Jun-09 18:39:46

How does he get his feet on the table? Can you push his chair further in? Agree with others about the knife. My DS is 3 in a few weeks, and it wouldn't occur to me to give him a knife, just a spoon and a fork. Does he still have milk at bedtime to fill him up?

tvaerialmagpiebin Tue 09-Jun-09 20:46:10

Well I have recently got rid of his highcchair and I am trying to find a suitable table for my very small kitchen so at the mo have a far too big one really in the way, no space for a chair, and he is sitting on the window seat. So he is quite high up. I know it is not ideal and that a "proper" chair and table would be better. Yes still has milk but not much as have just got him dry at night.
Think the solution is to sort out the table, isn't it. And ditch the knife.
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now