Talk

Advanced search

Homemade jam- what jars/lids etc do you use?

(11 Posts)
Haylstones Mon 08-Jun-09 14:39:20

I'm about to attempt some HM jam for the first time. I got a load of empty jars from Freecycle and thought I just had to sterilise them, fill and stick the lids on. However, I;ve just been googling and am now worried that this won't work with reused lids- do I need to buy the wax discs and covers?
ANy advice gratefully received!

Haylstones Mon 08-Jun-09 15:50:15

bump grin

midnightexpress Mon 08-Jun-09 15:55:31

I made marmalade in the winter and didn't bother with the discs (gets eaten too quickly round here!). I used kilner jars (the ones with the glass lid and rubber seal and the clicky thing to fasten them up. Because I like the look of them and am a great ponce. I think it depends how quickly you plan to eat it. my granny was a great jam-maker and she always used them.

ohdearwhatamess Mon 08-Jun-09 16:06:39

I either buy wax discs or cut circles to fit out of baking parchment if I've run out, then just stick old lids on top. I run jars and lids through the dishwasher to sterilise and stick the jam in the moment the dishwasher finishes its cycle wen they're still really hot.

bronze Mon 08-Jun-09 16:07:30

same as oh dear

sarah293 Mon 08-Jun-09 16:09:21

Message withdrawn

Bramshott Mon 08-Jun-09 16:16:36

Use greaseproof paper - either cut into little discs and on top of the jam itself, or a square or circle on top of the whole jar, held on by the lid. I think it'll be fine - there's just a possibility it won't last quite as long (jam never lasts long in this house anway, but my mother, who has all the proper stuff, can unearth jars about 5 years old which are not mouldy!)

Haylstones Mon 08-Jun-09 16:22:01

Thanks all. I think I#ll reuse the lids and hope the poppy thing gets sucked down.
How long will it n ormally keep for- both witha reused but properly sealed lid and with wax disc/ greaseproof paper?
Thanks!

HensMum Mon 08-Jun-09 16:25:06

We always re-use any old jars and lids. We sterilise the jars in the oven but just give the lids a thorough washing and leave it at that.
But jam does not last very long in our house blush - couple of months, maximum.

ShauntheSheep Mon 08-Jun-09 16:31:11

I put the jars in the oven nad the lids (metal lids) in boiling water. If I need more jars nd need to use jars with plastic lids I buy the jam tops (plastic held down with elastic band)

Bramshott Mon 08-Jun-09 16:40:43

Done absolutely properly, it should keep for a couple of years. However, in our house it's never around more than 6 months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now