Talk

Advanced search

How far in advance can I make a sponge cake for dd's party?

(24 Posts)
Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 13:48:22

As title says!
The party is on saturday
There is no room in the feezer as full of other stuff, including other party goodies

This is the first time I will be using fondant icing so am feeling a bit nervous!

TIA

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 13:49:32

Oh and how do I store it?
Just wrap in foil?

Its a circular 8inch madeira cake

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 18:57:12

Bump!

JackBauer Mon 08-Jun-09 19:19:42

Make it last thing wednesday, decorate it thursday, finish it friday and eat it all on saturday.
Wrap it in foil and store it in airtight container.

If you are making fondant models/shapes to go on the top you coud start them now, keep them in an airtight box and just stick them on later. It took me 2 weeks of snatched time to make stuff for my mums cake and that was all fine!

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 19:47:28

Thankyou!

JackBauer Mon 08-Jun-09 20:03:01

Just be aware that to have it at it's best you will need to eat it all on Saturday.
Let me know if you need any help with that?grin

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 20:05:20

Sorry JB - 14 kids with adults too coming I doubt there will be any left!
I am already contemplating making a basic spare so as to be sure there is enough

I also need to figure out how to make white fondant icing pink - with red food colouring it turns a peachy pink colour - I want pink pink arghhhhhhhh!

JackBauer Mon 08-Jun-09 20:09:44

At least you don;t want it to go red, that's a frigging nightmare!
You can buy packs of coloured icing though, red, green, black and yellow I think. Mix some of the red with the white and it makes a ncie pink, and has the bonus of not making you look as if you have cut all your fingers off.

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 20:21:08

I have been using gloves - from a firstaid kit!

I am now trying to find a cake decorating supplies shop.............

I have a feeling jackbauer that you live Wales?
If south do you happen to know anything about the cake decorating shops in S?
(sorry for cryptic clues I dont want give my identity away!)

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 08-Jun-09 20:22:30

you can buy pink food colour

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 20:25:37

Thanks kathy - the trouble is where from! I need to be able to get it tommorrow (party is saturday!)

JackBauer Mon 08-Jun-09 21:00:23

I am in S in wales. I have never seena cake decorating shop here though, sorry. I woudl order stuff online if you need it.

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 21:04:45

Thankyou Jack Im going to I think
According to yellowpages there are a couple but obviously I have no idea how good they are

One in U and one in that place that makes you think of spaghetti

JackBauer Mon 08-Jun-09 21:08:02

<checks over shoulder> Hang on, how do you know where I am?!

Oh, bugger, for tomorrow? Sainbos or tesco in ff have big cakey decorating sections, nothing beyond that that I know about, although your best bet is down the posh bit in M.

(hopes we are talking aboujt the same Sgrin)

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 21:22:19

Oh we are most definately

I went another huge tescos in north S on saturday - they didnt have pink foodcolouring annoyingly

I am now wondering if ff have - I was thinking of going tommorrow anyway
I love wandering round borders

bellavita Mon 08-Jun-09 21:23:18

Noooooooo, don't store the fondant figures or a fondant covered cake in an airtight box, it will sweat. Just need to cover it over in a tea towel.

Tis a shame I did not know you needed some pink sugarpaste, I have been to the shop I use where I live today to get some more supplies for DS's cake (whose birthday it is on Saturday). I could have got you some and posted it to you. I am making the madeira cake on Thursday and will decorate it on Friday. He has asked for a hot dog cake!

JackBauer Mon 08-Jun-09 21:32:27

I have never seen pink there though. But they do have the coloured icing which I mixed with white to make the pigs on teh cake in my profile.

<still trying to work out how you know me...>

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 21:34:51

Hi again bellavita!

re storage the book I have says you can put unused white/coloured icing into poly bags, different bag each colour and place that in airtightbox

For decorations you have made it says put in carboard box with lid on

bellavita Mon 08-Jun-09 21:37:20

ah, I thought you meant the finished product or figures that you had made for the end result smile

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 21:37:57

I dont Jack dont get paranoid!
I saw you mention W on another thread a while ago and remembered when you appeared on this thread today!
Did you have another name in 2006ish the second word was an anglican sort of word????

If so I have a scarey memory for mn names

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 21:39:31

And yes bellavita tis a pity I didnt post this overtheweekend Nevermind, it has been a learning curve!

I am most grateful for everyones advice, thankyou

JackBauer Mon 08-Jun-09 21:48:13

I was around then but I don't think that's me you are thinking about.

Really Bella? I didn't know that, my book says to keep airtight at all times. Not that it sweating woudl stop me eating it....

bellavita Mon 08-Jun-09 21:54:48

Sorry Yurt, I am posting on both threads - re the sweating, I had that problem (or rather the fondant did on the cake) and I went on the British Sugar Craft website and asked for their advice - said to store under a tea towel or in a cardboard box. The next couple of cakes I made, I just put under a tea towel and they have been fine and have kept for nearly a week (until they have been eaten). I haven't had any actual unused fondant leftover. I usually bake the cake one day and then do all the decorating the following day.

Re the sugar paste - yes golly, 25g you would still have most of the pot left - you need a tooth pick to dip into the pot and then put it into the fondant.

I think it would be this one

This is the website to the shop that I go to in York.

Yurtgirl Mon 08-Jun-09 22:35:00

Finally made a decision and ordered from designacake as daisydot linked too

Now I need to panic that it wont get here in time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now