Talk

Advanced search

I've just bought an Easiyo yoghurt maker! Any tips please?

(10 Posts)
smellymel Mon 08-Jun-09 12:13:32

Was watching this on QVC on Sat blush and it looks lovely, so bought one online this morning.

Any hints/tips for me on how to use/get the best out of it? Thanks.

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 08-Jun-09 12:15:15

you'll need to stop washing, and shaving your legs and armpits.
maybe get some crocs for the full experience.
grin

smellymel Mon 08-Jun-09 12:37:39

i've got some birkenstocks, would that count??

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 08-Jun-09 15:51:28

well, yes, you're halfway there.
I wear birkies but am fairly confident that crocs are a step too far.

Have you knitted your own sanitary towels recently?

midnightexpress Mon 08-Jun-09 15:59:49

I have just answered a question about jam-making, so am on a roll. It'll be sprouting beans next.

I haven't got one of those yogurt makers, but I remember my mum had one back in the day and used to make really delicious yogurt using evaporated milk (I told you it was in The Olden Days. It was orange)- I think maybe a mixture of evaporated and normal milk.

So there you go.

<wanders off to weave some lentils>

smellymel Mon 08-Jun-09 16:05:53

I really am quite normal, you know! Just cos I fancy making my own yoghurt doesn't mean I don't take my child to McDonalds on occasion, and even eat the odd Big Mac myself!

grin

nevergoogledragonbutter Mon 08-Jun-09 16:08:34

sounds like a good compromise smellymel.

sorry, i haven't been more useful smile

steamedtreaclesponge Mon 08-Jun-09 16:12:10

Ooh I've got one of those and I love it!

You don't actually have to buy the sachets that come with it - it's much cheaper to do it yourself (if you just want plain yoghurt, that is). Just put a couple of tablespoons of yoghurt (needs to be live - Rachel's Organic is good) and fill to the top with sterilised milk - I use UHT but you could boil normal milk. It does need to be boiled because otherwise the milk bacteria 'fight' with the yoghurt bacteria and it won't turn into yoghurt. Then follow the rest of the instructions as normal.

Once you've made your first batch, just make sure you save the last couple of spoonfuls of yoghurt to mix with the milk for your next batch and voila! Your own homemade milk forever! grin

steamedtreaclesponge Mon 08-Jun-09 16:12:55

homemade yoghurt, not milk blush

smellymel Mon 08-Jun-09 16:19:05

lovely, STS, thanks very much. thought the sachets were quite pricey. tend to eat only plain yog anyway and add nuts and fruit etc, so will certainly give your method a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now