Talk

Advanced search

Should I get a veg box delivered or stick to the local farm shop?

(13 Posts)
McDreamy Mon 08-Jun-09 10:34:03

Just considering my options! I do use the local farm shop but often get stuck for inspiration and tend to buy the same thing so I wondered about getting a veg box delivered.

1. For the convenience of having it delivered to your door.

2. Quality - but farm shop is pretty good

3. For ths challenge of using the veg they send

OR will I end up chucking loads away? Does it work for you?

flamingobingo Mon 08-Jun-09 10:40:42

I switched to veg box from farm shop and love it. We get the riverford ones, and a fruit box too. It's lovely.

We do chuck some away, but you can check what's coming up in next week's box online so you can meal-plan.

And we used to chuck some of the farm shop veg too anyway blush

McDreamy Mon 08-Jun-09 10:43:25

Yes that's true here actually. I have heard really good things about Riverford, better than Abel and Cole.

BlueChampagne Mon 08-Jun-09 13:04:17

If you're up for the challenge of using the veg they send, it doesn't sound like you'll be chucking loads away! I'm sure you could have a trial run for a month or so and see how you got on.

McDreamy Mon 08-Jun-09 17:33:21

Think I might give it a go, as you say trial it for a month.

Fibonacci Mon 08-Jun-09 19:07:06

By all means go for a veg box, but try and get one which is local and not from Abel & Cole or Riverford (assuming you don't live near them) as it is so much better ecologically and ethically to support a local business.

It's a great time of year to get a veg box as all the nice veg are just coming online now!

northernrefugee39 Tue 09-Jun-09 12:33:35

I always thought the farm shop stuff is fresher.... and as Fibonacci says- local.

The organic farm shop we usually get things from has often literally just been picked/dug- the leeks, cabbages have rain on them, carrots pots still damp earth. It's dirt cheap- no middle man, honesty box.
The downside is lack of choice.

But another farm shop near imports things from all over the world, simply because it's organic, to sell alonside their own organic produce.

MerlinsBeard Tue 09-Jun-09 12:45:03

Get a veg box and top up from the farm shop - best of both.

Our nearest veg box deliveries are Warrington - abel and cole have a depot there and cheaper than stockley farm!

poopscoop Tue 09-Jun-09 12:48:38

I like having a veg box, it does make you cook some interesting recipes, as you ted to get some bits and pieces you may not normally buy in the shop.

Saying that, I still need to top up from the farm shop or supermarket as not always enough of a certain veg for a family.

Cosette Tue 09-Jun-09 13:00:27

Riverford will allow you to specify the interval between veg box deliveries - so you could have a veg box every other week, and go to the farm shop every other week - which might help you manage to eat up the more unusual items before the next vegbox arrives. If you find you're eating everything in the vegbox, you can then choose weekly deliveries later.

Littlepurpleprincess Fri 12-Jun-09 09:24:25

Are they expensive? Sorry to hijack, I'm just about to get my own place and am deciding the best way to feed my family, on a budget. I love the idea of getting a veg box but not sure I can afford it.

Cosette Fri 12-Jun-09 11:05:03

They start at £8.35 www.riverford.co.uk/produce/thisweeksbox/. You can top up with other fruit and veg, and they also do meat boxes, as well as a lot of other goods - bread, dairy products etc.

mychildrenarebarmy Mon 15-Jun-09 21:39:45

I can add to the recommendation of Riverford too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now