Talk

Advanced search

Excess of egg yolks!

(7 Posts)
milkmoustache Mon 08-Jun-09 10:11:17

I am making a big batch of meringues for a friend tonight, and will be left with about 12 yolks to use up. I might try hollandaise sauce for the first time in my life, (OK, that's probably never going to happen but I can dream!) but am racking my brains for other (realistic) ideas. Any cake recipes which use extra yolks? Er - ice cream? Help! I am madly cleaning the house for imminent in-law visit so don't have the time to scour the recipe books myself for inspiration. DS (9 months) is happily eating eggs so any brilliant ideas for using the yolks up in some clever baby-friendly way would be hugely helpful...

MuffinTopMamma Mon 08-Jun-09 10:35:30

well lots of egg yolks are used in custard. and from custard you can make lots of other things - ice cream, baked egg custards, creme brulee, etc. Or how about Tiramisu?

CMOTdibbler Mon 08-Jun-09 10:39:15

Mini quiches for DS (and you). Cut out rounds of pastry and put into fairy cake tin. Put a little sweetcorn/tomato/tuna/chopped bacon/onion.... into each and add a milk/egg yolk mixture, then sprinkle on some cheese.

Bake. scoff feed to baby and freeze the rest. You can nuke them from frozen v quickly

MuffinTopMamma Mon 08-Jun-09 10:40:45

Sorry I just re-read original post and realised my ideas weren't terribly baby friendly! Oops

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Mon 08-Jun-09 10:40:56

Message withdrawn

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Mon 08-Jun-09 15:17:58

You can freeze them.

Donk Mon 08-Jun-09 15:26:10

Custard
Thickening creamy soups
Hollandaise sauce is easy - have a go!
Lemon curd (mmmmm!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now