Talk

Advanced search

Courgettes - how do you do them?

(23 Posts)
MaggieW Mon 09-May-05 19:48:03

Am trying organic veg boxes so need some tasty (and easy!) recipes for courgettes please?

JiminyCricket Mon 09-May-05 19:51:03

Nice lightly stir fried with cumin and chickpeas. But mostly I just put them in pasta sauce, curries etc

MarsLady Mon 09-May-05 19:51:38

there you go hun!

lavenderrr Mon 09-May-05 20:13:26

there are lots of ways to enjoy these, have you tried ratatoiulle(spellt wrong), sliced in circles popped in the microwave with no water added and served alongside a steak or something, with a sprinkling of pepper, nothing else is absolutely scrummy..it really brings out the flavour that boiling in a pan doesn't, or slice down the middle, pop in some cheese, emmental/mozzeralla something meltingy, wrap in tin foil and bale for about 20 mins, can substitute with bacon, garlic and butter whatever you fancy...just don't let them dry out that's all!

hub2dee Mon 09-May-05 20:13:41

Anyone tried grating them raw ? Makes a very refreshing and tasty salad.

Prufrock Mon 09-May-05 20:51:19

Sliced lengthways, tossed in oil and griddled, then sprinkled with lemon juice.

Grated and fried with lashings of butter and pepper.

Cut into chunks, tossed in oil and roasted alongside a roast

compo Mon 09-May-05 20:53:35

lav - how long do you nuke them in the microwave for without water please? sounds easy peasy!!!

soapbox Mon 09-May-05 20:54:26

Grated - knob of butter and plenty black pepper. Put in bowl in micro with plate on top for 3-4 mins depending on how much you are doing.

They are delicious even the children love them.

I have added a little more butter on occaision and used them as a topping for pasta!

zebraX Mon 09-May-05 20:55:59

Steamed. Add butter afterwards.

WigWamBam Mon 09-May-05 20:56:01

Grated raw with grated raw carrots is nice as well. Or you can make courgette and potato fritters - coarsely grate a couple of courgettes and a couple of potatoes, squeeze out the excess liquid with your hands, put them in a bowl with 2 eggs, salt, pepper and a little nutmeg if you like it, and mix well. Heat a little butter in a frying pan, add large tablespoonfuls of the mixture to the pan and flatten them with a fork. Cook over a meium heat until browned, then turn over and cook the other side.

Nice served with a home-made tomato sauce or relish.

Twiga Mon 09-May-05 21:09:32

My Mum passed this recipe on me and it's really tasty - is a complete meal for 2 in itself if veggie (parents are) but goes well with chicken if not and will stretch around at least 4.

Mediterranean Rice Salad:

Ingredients: 1 cup (8oz) long grain/basmati rice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 4 medium courgettes (sliced), 1-2 tablespoons water, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 teaspoon dreid oregano, 4 cups lettuce (any combination of iceberg, butter, red leaf, romaine), 2 cups spinach or arugula (rough chopped), 1 cup bean sprouts or alfalfa, 4oz pinemto stuffed green olives (sliced).

Method: Cook rice. Prepare courgettes by heting oil in wok/large skillet. Add courgette slices and toss in oil. Sprinkle with water and continue tossing for several minutes until courgette turns a brighter colour. Add basil and oregano. Toss gently and set aside. prepare garlic herb dressing.

Garlic herb dressing: 1 garlic clove crushed, 5 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice, half teaspoon dreid chervil, half teaspoon dreid marjoram, quarter teaspoon dried mint, half teaspoon dried thyme, eigth teaspoon dried tarragon, salt and pepper to taste.

Place all ingredients in bowl and whip with fork or whisk, or buzz through food processor/blender.

Wash and dry lettuce, break into bite size pieces and combine in large bowl with spinach/argugula and beansprouts. Add rice, courgettes, olives and dressing. Toss well to combine flavours.

Ok, I know this looks long but it's really simple and worth doing honest! Also the method for cooking courgettes mentioned is great by itself if not making whole reciepe as is the salad dressing.

WigWamBam Mon 09-May-05 21:14:42

Saute some onions, mushrooms and garlic in a pan, put them in a small ovenproof casserole dish. Layer slices of courgette on top, layer slices of tomatoes on top of that, dot with butter, add grated cheese if you like, and bung in the oven for 20 minutes.

NannyL Thu 19-May-05 21:46:42

i 'boil' them (well more put them on top of the wter in a pn ov boiling water with other veggys underneath for 3 mins.

If the kdis are lucky they get a bit of butter added, if not they eat them as they are (slice thinly as you would cucumber into circles)

meggymoo Thu 19-May-05 21:49:28

Message withdrawn

toria77 Thu 19-May-05 21:54:26

greek dish_ fry with olive oil and mix in eggs ( scramble them in) cook till soft - sounds weird but lovely honest!!!

hub2dee Thu 19-May-05 22:49:38

Sounds tasty meggymoo. Is that a recipe he made up / discovered / read about or is he from somewhere spicy and exotic ?

Branster Thu 19-May-05 23:15:14

1. cut lenghtways in long slices. do not peel. place on tin foil on a tray, brush with a little bit of olive oil and place under the grill. you can add some strips of red , yellow or orange peppers at the same time , same method, to grill. when done, add to salads with some feta or mozzarella cheese, olives, cucumber, baby tomatoes , salad leaves etc.

2. take 1 corgette, cut in 2 lenghtways. scoop out the flesh and put to one side making sure you do not damage the skin of the courgette. place courgette skins in boiling salted water for a couple of minutes to soften slightly.
chop the flesh finely, chop a couple of mishrooms finely and a bit of parsley. in a bowl beat 1 egg, add salt & pepper, mix in the chopped vegetables and some breadcrumbs (about 1 tablespoon?). fill the courgette skins with the egg&veg mixture, sprinkle some crumbled feta chees on top and put in a very hot oven (200C) until cooked (10min?) then place under the grill to brwon slightly.

sorry about the approx. times & measurements. they really are delicious!

meggymoo Thu 19-May-05 23:56:52

Message withdrawn

hub2dee Fri 20-May-05 00:08:28

Yummy, mm. Night.

LunarSea Fri 20-May-05 12:10:02

ribboned with a potato peeler, and cooked in cream with chopped hazlenuts added.

bensmum3 Thu 26-May-05 20:25:46

We find aubergines difficult to find locally, but grow courgettes in the garden, I use them in my lasagne,we do evening meals for B&B guests and they always compliment me on the taste so I guess it's not just me who likes it

cod Thu 26-May-05 20:38:50

Message withdrawn

NotQuiteCockney Thu 26-May-05 20:48:48

Oh, I tried one of the recipes from MarsLady's link (the Oriental one, I think it's called, a cold marinated salad thing) and although it looked terrifying, it was really rather good.

We generally have a surfeit of courgettes these days, and my only other courgette-intensive dishes are 1. cold salad with lemon and basil and 2. ratatouille.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now