Talk

Advanced search

pot luck dinner - what to take?

(10 Posts)
drinkyourmilk Sat 06-Jun-09 09:07:37

I'm at a pot luck leaving do for a friend tomorrow evening and looking for inspiration. What have you taken that's gone down well? I have no constraints - sweet or savoury is fine. The hostess is veggie, but most others aren't so again either is fine. I'd prefer something not too complicated, but can cook so will make the effort where needed!
TIA

rasputin Sat 06-Jun-09 09:13:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrillianAstra Sat 06-Jun-09 09:15:44

Something that is tasty even when at room temperature!

Overmydeadbody Sat 06-Jun-09 09:23:06

Oooh I haven't been to a pot luck in yonks. It was all anyone ever did when I was a child grin

Lasagne always goes down well, or other one dish tihngs that are easy to cut up into small portions

or finger food type stuff like a big platter of roasted chicken wings with a bbq glaze, or drumsticks with 5 spice all over them.

Salad

Quiche or other savoury tart

Basically you want to make something that's easy for people to serve themselves, not too saucy or messy as they will probably want a few things on their plates at once and don't want sauces mixing, can be eaten at room temperature, transported easily, and made without too much fuss!grin

I do like mini versions of main meals, but I know they are time consuming to make. My Grandfather loved mini cornish pasties to be served at garden parties he hosted, I couldn't imagine having to make them though.

Overmydeadbody Sat 06-Jun-09 10:14:18

some ideas here

I like the idea of a lovely bean salad with a really good dressing.

Or a couscous and roasted vegetable salad with a lovely dressing that has hints or cinnamon and coriander in it for a moroccan feel.

expatinscotland Sat 06-Jun-09 10:24:02

i'm going to one next week! bringing a potato salad, tabouleh and a black-eyed bean salad.

expatinscotland Sat 06-Jun-09 10:24:03

i'm going to one next week! bringing a potato salad, tabouleh and a black-eyed bean salad.

Overmydeadbody Sat 06-Jun-09 10:40:03

<<drool>> at tabouleh.

Sounds good expat!

expatinscotland Sat 06-Jun-09 10:42:38

it's gonna be a yummy potluck. in someone's lovely garden. wahey.

i did a trial run of my potato salad yesterday.

mmmm. all ready to go.

drinkyourmilk Sat 06-Jun-09 16:00:09

Thanks for your suggestions and link. Gone with the feta and strawberry salad (home grown don't ya know!), amd the teriyaki chicken from the all-recipes site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now