Talk

Advanced search

Icing/frosting that can be piped but does not remain really gooey?

(7 Posts)
LiberalIdleOlogy Fri 05-Jun-09 13:48:06

Can anyone recommend a recipe/instructions - or even just an icing type I can google? Ideally I'd like it to be a little lighter than standard butter cream - so thinking of using egg white. Have tried various boiled frostings/italian meringue recipes, but half the time I end up having to throw it away or add so much icing sugar that I'm back to buttercream. Chocolate flavour would be nice, but not essential. Oh, and I only have a hand-held electric whisk.

Help.... please.

missmama Fri 05-Jun-09 13:59:53

American frosting.
Let me find a link

missmama Fri 05-Jun-09 14:02:20

www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-01v993.html

Not tried it myself but was googling for it the other day. I had no eggs so still ended up with buttercream smile

stealthsquiggle Fri 05-Jun-09 14:10:31

swis meringue buttercream.

I have yet to try it (planning to tonight) but ComeOVeneer recommended it so it must be good.

ComeOVeneer Fri 05-Jun-09 14:13:50

If it is choc flavour you are after go for whipped chocolate ganache. Heat double cream slowly until just boiling, stir frequently so it doesn't burn. Add broken up dark choc and turn of heat. Leave to sit for a few mins to allow choc to melt then stir to mix thoroghly. ALlow to cool then refridgerate overnight. Next morning take it out and allow to come to room temp, then whisk until light and fluffy, then use to pipe ontop of cupcakes or fill/frost a cake. Lovely and not overly sweet!

stealthsquiggle Fri 05-Jun-09 14:18:15

CoV that was option B if/when I am feeling too ill tonight to faff around with meringue buttercream.

LiberalIdleOlogy Fri 05-Jun-09 14:41:12

Thanks - whipped ganache sounds delicious - and haven't tried that yet. I did have some success with American frosting the other day missmama - but the fat & sugar junkies of the household who are used to buttercream seemed disappointed with the taste (looked fab though). It's the Swiss Meringue buttercream that I just seem to mess up each time. It splits whenever I try to add flavouring. Have got round this by using melted chocolate but find it comes out way too soft - then end up having to pile in loads of extra icing sugar and it looses its lovely glossiness. Can anyone point me to a tried and tested recipe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now