Talk

Advanced search

how long would a bottle of Veuve Clicquot last

(16 Posts)
annaje Thu 04-Jun-09 17:12:15

If kept in a cupboard. I had one sitting there for a few years.....should I bin it (don't know what I was waiting for) grin

StirlingTheStrong Thu 04-Jun-09 17:14:37

No don't bin it - Just drink it!!

Put it in the fridge and celebrate Friday evening tomorrow smile

Alternatively, if you live in Scotland I will come and collect grin

annaje Thu 04-Jun-09 17:17:10

Thanks stirling - I would share with you - honest - but I live in kent...

bronze Thu 04-Jun-09 17:19:02

I have one thats 7 years old. Its from our wedding and we're saving it for a special occasion though I'm not quite sure what that maybe

Louise2004 Thu 04-Jun-09 17:20:30

Chill it and drink it! Lucky you smile

annaje Thu 04-Jun-09 17:21:47

Bronze - well I think ours was from our wedding which was ten years ago now - I didn't think champagne lasted that long although if it's good quality, maybe?

I can't believe I forgot it - I think i thought it was probably gone off and so stuck it at the back of the cupboard blush

BarbaraWoodlouse Thu 04-Jun-09 17:25:36

I think it's probably gone off.

If you mail it to:
Barbara Woodlouse
Woodlouse Manor
Real Life

I'll check out for you grin

(It's probably fine!)

annaje Thu 04-Jun-09 17:28:48

thanks ladies - I'll try it this weekend. But if I keel over, this thread will be left as evidence grin

lisasimpson Thu 04-Jun-09 17:30:10

I have a lot of respect for anyone that can leave a bottle of VC in a cupboard for that long! it would have been long gone in this house - occasion or not!

bronze Thu 04-Jun-09 17:33:03

I don't drink wine or champagne.

Have you been turning yours? I think you're supposed to but we haven't. Its hidden somewhere in the shed (padlocked ladies!)

annaje Thu 04-Jun-09 17:34:14

and to think of the bottles of Lanson i've bought in the meantime when that's been sitting there - dizzy bint!

annaje Thu 04-Jun-09 17:35:53

Not been turning it - it has moved house at some point 6 years ago.....grin

StirlingTheStrong Thu 04-Jun-09 17:45:17

I am amazed - it wouldn't have lasted a day in our house!

You could always have a cocktail evening and try one or more of these

bronze Thu 04-Jun-09 17:47:13

We also have a bottle of red, one of white and two bottle of sherry kept from the day. Maybe we should have used them at the christening (all three together) I guess theres still one to get Christened.
Annje I would just go for it

misshardbroom Thu 04-Jun-09 17:51:53

hmmm yes, DH has a terrible habit of keeping wine 'for best'. We've got some 7 y.o. VC in the wine rack. Think the time has come to try it out.

[envisages hordes of MNers all over the country legless on very old bubby]

usedtoreadbooks Thu 04-Jun-09 18:52:23

I visited the Moet et Chandon cellars at the weekend and can report with confidence that there is no need to turn champagne because the sediment is removed in the production process: during the second fermentation in the bottle they stack each one at an angle in a kind of A frame so the neck is pointing down, then turn it a fraction of an inch every day for ages so the sediment sinks to the middle of the neck - then they freeze the neck so the sediment is trapped, remove the frozen plug, then they add older vintages in place of the frozen stuff to achieve a uniform taste every year. This whole process is what turns wine into champagne (or rather sparkling wine - being made in Champagne is what makes it Champagne).

I would drink your VC asap in the interests of research, unless you have accidentally pasteurised or frozen it, it will be fine. They had samples from 150 years ago down there - but once you go back that far they are museum pieces only.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now