Talk

Advanced search

Two and a half year old who only eats purees

(7 Posts)
Karenella Sun 08-May-05 21:53:28

My son was born at 23 weeks and has had numerous medical problems. However now he is a relativel normal boy. My problem is that he will only eat tinned 4 month purees (only 3 flavours) and crisps that melt in the mouth. I have an 11 month old who eats anything but that has not rubbed off on the older one. Has anyone been in a similar situation and over come the problem? He is seen by a dietician and speech therapist but they have no new ideas to offer. Help!

jjash Sun 08-May-05 21:59:37

No advice but every sympathy.,my dd of two and half lives on yoghurt and mashed banana and weetabix.Will eat dinners if covered in gravy and lumps mashed out.My ds was fussy but not like this .
I try to make lunch time with more textured food but its an ongoing battle .I feel for you.What does your ds do if you give him lumpy food?

emily05 Sun 08-May-05 22:20:53

karenella, do you have BBC3? There is this show called 'the house of tiny tearaways' that is on every night at 8 (I think) and has a family being helped by a therapist with the exact same problem.

She is a therapist and looks into problems that children have (like this one). If you dont have bbc3 I will let you know what she suggests over the next week. I think eating problems are a common problem, especially the transition to lumpy food.

saadia Sun 08-May-05 22:46:53

I had the same problem with my ds, but he was miraculously always able to chew chocolate given half the chance.

foxd Sun 08-May-05 23:15:16

My eldest ds was fussy like this especially with jar foods we gave thaem to him whilst we were moving house and after he refused to eat anything but except chocolate. The hv advisor just advised us to slowly introduce bigger lumps in his foo like first grating food. He still gets picky now and again but it did the trick for me.

purpleturtle Sun 08-May-05 23:29:09

I may be wrong, but I think that the first week of House of Tiny Tearaways (which was on bbc3 last week) is being shown on bbc2 this week. The rest will presumably follow suit.

Karenella Fri 13-May-05 21:12:59

I've been watching the House of Tiny Tearaways and it has helped a bit. He ate one chicken nugget and five chips for the first time on Monday. We were in shock but think it was the novelty of sitting at the table with us because its been back to the usual purees since. Not going to give up tho. Will keep having meals together and keep offering him what we have and see what happens.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: