Advanced search

Mint Jelly?

(3 Posts)
KatieMac Sun 08-May-05 21:49:44

Hiya all I need a recipe (that someone has tried) for Mint Jelly

Tia

grandmabet Mon 09-May-05 10:04:15

Hi Tia

Here is my recipe for a much tried and tested recipe and one which my daughter swears is the best (and that's some recommendation!)

2.3 kg cooking apples, eg Bramley
a few large sprigs of fresh mint
1.1 litres distilled white vinegar
sugar
90-120 ml chopped fresh mint

1 Remove any damaged portions from the apples and roughly chop them without peeling or coring.
2 Put apples in large pan with 1.1 litres water and the mint sprigs. Bring to the boil then simmer gently for about 45 mins or until soft and pulpy. Stir from time to time. Add the vinegar and boil for a further 5 mins.
3 Spoon the apple pulp into a jelly bag (obtainable from Lakeland) and leave to strain into a large bowl for at least 12 hours, eg overnight.
4 Measure the juice and put into pan with 450g of sugar for each 600 ml juice.
5 Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved, then boil rapidly for about 10 mins or until setting point is reached. To test, put a small spoonful on a very cold plate and if it wrinkles it is set. If not, continue boiling and testing.
6 Add a knob of butter to pan, stir and leave to cool slightly. Stir to distribute mint then pour into warmed, sterilised jars and cover when completely cold.

Enjoy!

Grandma Bet

KatieMac Mon 09-May-05 19:38:48

Thanks - I'll give it a go if I'm feeling brave
KMc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now