Talk

Advanced search

I don't think I eat in an organised enough fashion and I don't know quite why, and I am getting a big arse and need to change something - any advice?

(5 Posts)
AnarchyAunt Tue 02-Jun-09 21:47:15

I have always been slim - size 8-10 and about 5 ft 7. Didn't put on much weight when PG, lost it when BF, DD now 6 and over the last year I have started to put on weight - mainly since Christmas though I think. No scales in this house but I reckon a stone or so - enough that I have a distinct muffin top when naked and can't get into some of last summer's clothes. I gave up smoking last summer after 10 years and suspect that may have contributed.

I am sort of veggie - I do eat fish on occasion (maybe twice a month?) but no meat for the last 20 years. We only have wholemeal bread, but pasta/rice are 50/50 white and wholemeal. Loads of veg, though not so much fruit. I think fundamentally I eat good food - certainly enjoy cooking - but probably too much fat. I love cheese and olive oil and salad dressing [mmmm]. I crave carbs, fat, and salt and when I eat I can't really stop until I am full to bursting. Generally I only eat one 'meal' a day (evening usually) but will have 2 or even 3 helpings.

I don't eat breakfast. I suspect this may be part of the problem? But I just don't feel like food in the morning, and when I do have some I just get ravenous a couple of hours later anyway. I get really hungry in the evenings - right now I want a big bowl of salty buttery popcorn. Have been wondering if a vitamin/mineral deficiancy might be an issue maybe? Are there any that make you crave crap food and salt at strange times?

cyanarasamba Tue 02-Jun-09 21:55:20

I would go for a multi-pronged approach here:

- Find some healthy mid-morning snacks/lunches that work for you
- Try to reduce the fats and increase other proteins including fish and pulses (maybe you are not getting enough protein?)
- Portion control in your main meal - carb serving should be no bigger than your fist I believe
- Makes sure you are drinking enough water - sometimes food cravings can just be thirst

Good luck!

EvenBetaDad Tue 02-Jun-09 22:18:51

AnarchyAunt - I think you might notice a big difference if you flipped your day round.

Breakfast: Slow release carbs like muesli and fresh fruit. Alternatively, some eggs (I assume you do eat eggs) on a little toast. Eat plenty.

Mid morning: A piece of fruit or smoothee to stop the hunger pangs.

Lunch: A good meal with plenty of protein as I wondered if it is protein you are craving. A lot less carbs and cut out most of the dressings and some of the cheese. Plenty of vegetables and salad.

Dinner: Minimal eating, just a litle light food like eggs, fruit, nuts. Little or no carbs or fat. Your body does not need a lot of food just before it goes to sleep. If you eat a lot less at night you will feel more like eating breakfast.

I follow the above meal plan and also recently cut out all bread and most biscuits/cakes and and milk and cheese and went Gluten Free and Lactose Free and I have lost 8 lbs in 6 weeks and do not feel hungry and have not been trying to diet.

I agree with you on vitamins, take a good supplement. Also drink plenty of water as cyanarasamba says.

Finally, I would say cut right down on coffee as the coffee causes a sugar rush (which gives you a high) and then it crashes making you feel instantly hungry and then snack.

fishie Tue 02-Jun-09 22:23:29

protein

AnarchyAunt Wed 03-Jun-09 07:38:51

Protein says everyone! Hmmm yes could well be because I don't eat eggs (on their own - I do eat them in things), hardly ever fish, pulses maybe three times a week.

EvenBetaDad - this is what I think, I eat too much in the evenings and its all skewed.
I am about to worry a bowl of yoghurt and fruit down - am working up to the slow-release carbs for breakfast as there is just no way I could eat anything like that now. I have never eaten breakfast consistently, even when PG I had to force myself to eat something in the morning and it was a struggle. Hopefully that will change as I get more used to eating less at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now