Talk

Advanced search

baby food on holiday

(13 Posts)
ruty Sun 08-May-05 19:59:05

going on holiday with 8month old ds for first time this week. Staying in this country.I've been cooking for him up to now, just wondering, what do you all do on holiday? We're self catering, but don't know if i'll have time to cook for him when there every night. Do you use baby jars? I sometimes get the Hipp organic ones. Will he be satisfied by them all week or should i take the blender?

zebraX Sun 08-May-05 20:00:49

Can't you just mash down some veg each night, by 8 months? And have some bananas & rice cakes handy if it's too much faff...

Surfermum Sun 08-May-05 20:05:54

Whenever I've been away I've taken frozen food with me in sandwich bags. I've put them in a cool bag with loads of ice blocks so they don't defrost en route.

If your ds has never had anything from a jar I would recommend trying him before you go too. I did this with dd and she wouldn't eat any of the jars I tried her on, so I'm glad I found out in advance.

Where are you going?

ruty Sun 08-May-05 21:02:55

Cornwall! Might try both options you suggest. I tend to give him meat once a day cos he hardly takes enough formula and i want him to get enough iron. He will eat the jars but don't know how nutritious they are.

zebraX Sun 08-May-05 21:06:27

Baby food in this country is screened incredibly well, it will have lower pesticide residue levels (for instance) than the food you & I eat. Just get some meaty mix ones.

I mixed up powdered baby food (or stuff like Ready-Brek) with expressed breastmilk to get my baby to have milk (he wouldn't have it otherwise). I must mention that on the other thread...

Surfermum Sun 08-May-05 21:14:37

Lucky you Ruty! I love Cornwall. We had a week in Polperro at Easter and it was just fab.

Your ds sounds like my dd. She has never been one for much milk. I used to make sure she had 8oz on her weetabix in the morning to make sure she got enough and I cooked most of her meals in it.

ruty Sun 08-May-05 21:20:17

just thought jars may not have as many vitamins as home cooked.

zebraX Sun 08-May-05 21:21:08

don't think that's a problem, Ruty, but if it were, it's only one week of her life, only some of her meals that week.

ruty Sun 08-May-05 21:22:42

surfermum i wish i could live in Cornwall! ds is dairy allergic so has a special formula he hates. stil partially bfeeding. wish i could give it up so i could have some scrumpy jack cornish cider!

ruty Sun 08-May-05 21:23:19

know what you mean zebrax.

Bozza Sun 08-May-05 21:24:17

What will you be eating? Have you got a hand blender or just a masher? Maybe some jars, some things like poached fish/mashed potatoes that you could share.

Surfermum Sun 08-May-05 21:29:14

Check out the member profiles section, under For lovers of Cornwall" or something like that. There's a piccie of me at Polzeath last year!

Have you been to the Cider Farm near Truro? Their logo says "Legless But Smiling"! Lovely cider and free tastings! Animals for ds to look at too and a ride on a tractor. DH is a big cider drinker - the rougher the better. Bit like his women ! I of course was the exception.

ruty Sun 08-May-05 21:36:34

of course surfermum! will check out your pic. Good idea about the hand blender, think i have one somewhere..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: