Talk

Advanced search

need inspiration - what can I serve in stead of potatoes?

(21 Posts)
silverfrog Tue 02-Jun-09 17:20:23

dd1 is ASD, has food issues, as well as being gluten and dairy intolerant.

She used ot haev issues wiht drinking, and so most of her foods were "wet" foods (soup, spag bol, curry) so that I could get liquids into her. Obv she has these with rice/gf pasta/gf bread.

she has had quite a few breakthroughs recently with food, and is now trying quite a good range of foods.

she just had a pork chop for tea shock

however, she will not eat potatoes (in any form), so what can I serve alongside that she might be interested in eating?

looking for inspiration for starchy filler type things, please.

MummyDoIt Tue 02-Jun-09 17:21:42

Mine often have plain pasta instead of potatoes. Doesn't appeal to me at all but they love it.

KirstyJC Tue 02-Jun-09 17:21:52

Polenta - cooked soft so it's like mash. Yummy and only takes 1-2 mins!grin.

FrazzledFairyFay Tue 02-Jun-09 17:23:00

egg and vegetable fried rice

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 02-Jun-09 17:25:36

Celeriac?

Swede - you can cut this up into wedges/chips and roast in the oven, or make it into a mash; lovely mashed with carrots as well.

Couscous?

silverfrog Tue 02-Jun-09 17:25:51

she won't touch plain pasta sad

polenta is something I've thought about - that's corn, right? might look in to that.

egg fried rice is genius - she went through a huge phase of eating that, wonder if she would touch it now. will have to try her again. thanks.

but was ideally looking for things that aren't rice/pasta, as she already eats those, iyswim? and might not be happy that they didn't come with spag bol/curry etc, which would then overshadow the meal...

bigTillyMint Tue 02-Jun-09 17:27:11

Risotto? You can make it with pearl barley too. And quinoa?

pavlovthecat Tue 02-Jun-09 17:27:34

Sweet potatoes?

plantsitter Tue 02-Jun-09 17:28:46

sweet potatoes? They look different from normal ones and are sweet and tasty.

silverfrog Tue 02-Jun-09 17:29:33

couscous is out, as she is gf (gutted, as was so easy to do for her when she was a baby!)

she si ok at eating veg, but haven't really tried sweded etc. she wouldn't eat it if it looked like chips (didn't eat the parsnips at Christmas for this reason), but might in a mash

silverfrog Tue 02-Jun-09 17:32:28

quinoa she didn't used to touch, but maybe she would now.

she eats sweet potato in curry, not sure she would on it's own (the name is enough to put her off grin)

shootfromthehip Tue 02-Jun-09 17:40:26

Cous cous (if that is gluten free?)

Egg noddles

Have you tried potato rosti? My eldest was a bit funny about pots and that's how I won her over.

Sweet pots are good for chips too.

shootfromthehip Tue 02-Jun-09 17:41:33

ex post with the cous cous- presumably noddles are out too then unless you can get the rice noodles?

PortAndLemon Tue 02-Jun-09 17:43:59

Could you call them Ipomoea instead of sweet potatoes? (Best not go for Ipomoea batatas as batatas does sound like potatoes)

silverfrog Tue 02-Jun-09 17:49:50

rice noodles she won't touch.

the problem with sweet potatoes is that they come in the same form as potatoes grin

she has had every known form of potato served up to her (inc rosti - sadly, a no go) and so anyhting that comes in chip/mash/roast form is now regarded with deep suspicion grin

but I should try again - they are at least a different colour

<sigh> it's the outright rejection for no known reason that gets to me - I am prepared to be reasonably accommodating with her food, but she is unable to tell me what she likes/dislikes, and if somethig is rejected I can only guess at the reason why. It odes get disheartening, tbh.

bloss Tue 02-Jun-09 17:52:37

Message withdrawn

PortAndLemon Tue 02-Jun-09 17:57:19

You could chop up sweet potatoes to make them look more carrot-related than potato-related, maybe? Won't help if she doesn't like carrots, though.

Am not really as obsessed with sweet potatoes as I am probably appearing here, honestly...

silverfrog Tue 02-Jun-09 17:57:59

ooh, cornbread, now there's an idea. she might go for that if i called it cake (not keen on bread generally) - will have a look and see if I can find a suitable recipe.

silverfrog Tue 02-Jun-09 18:00:41

hmm, veg can be an issue. she does eat quite well, really, especially considering the ASD, and I can put virtually any veg into her curry/spag bol/soup.

but veg separately - now there's an issue smile. mostly because she ahsn't had it served up that often, tbh, as she had to have everyhting as wet food.

she does eat carrots in risotto though, so could be worth a try.

KirstyJC Tue 02-Jun-09 19:19:53

This www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=200 cornbread recipe is nice, although I used milk instead of buttermilk (couldn't find it!).

Mary Berry does a nice one too, but can't find the recipe at the mo.

It looks just like cake, so I think that might work!!

silverfrog Tue 02-Jun-09 19:26:37

thnaks, i'll have to play around with the various quantities (can't use milk/buttermilk or plain flour) and still try to produce something edible, but that si well worth a go.

off to hunt down recipe books to see if i have a gf recipe lurking anywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now