Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Broad beans - I have a glut and ds is not keen

(12 Posts)
meltedmarsbars Tue 02-Jun-09 16:54:26

How can I make them interesting and tasty? at the mo I'm just adding them to the mange-tout as they cook.

Any ideas, maybe with chorizo, bacon, etc?

MrsHappy Tue 02-Jun-09 16:58:43

Delia has a recipe

It is also pretty nice with a yogurt/creme fraiche dressing. Unfortunately I've lost my recipe though I bet you could find one on the internet.

God I love broad beans. If you have a glut you can freeze them.

steamedtreaclesponge Tue 02-Jun-09 17:00:29

Don't know about any meat ideas as veggie, I'm afraid, but how about bissara? It's a bit like houmous only made with broad beans - there's a recipe here

You can also make nice soup with broad beans, there are quite a lot of recipes online.

meltedmarsbars Tue 02-Jun-09 18:16:19

Both these look lovely - will try the hummus one at the weekend- dh's work colleagues coming.

Mrs Happy I hate frozen broad beans - too many as a child.

Overmydeadbody Tue 02-Jun-09 19:53:10

of all the beans and pulses out there, broad beans really are the most horrible imo grin

I second the humous dip thingy, if you really are insistant on cooking with them grin

meltedmarsbars Tue 02-Jun-09 19:54:26

What else am I to do with them? Have just given a bunch of pods to the dad who brought my ds back this eve.

MrsHappy Tue 02-Jun-09 20:06:14

Tonnes of recipes here.

Overmydeadbody Tue 02-Jun-09 20:12:28

Don't grow them in the first place grin

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Tue 02-Jun-09 20:27:30

Send them this way they're my favourite.

Toss with cubed pancetta and goats cheese. Grinding of salt & pepper, olive oil. They go with all pig products.

Gorgeous!

Alternatively, sit with bowl of beans on lap to pod them to make something delicious.

Eat all beans in absent-minded fashion whilst watching TV blush

BCNS Tue 02-Jun-09 20:32:57

ewwwwwwwww you can do nothing nice with them if it involves consuption! it is the one food I can't stand.

urmm use them for playing hop scotch with.. or a dodgey game of marbles

MrsHappy Tue 02-Jun-09 20:38:51

Saw this recipe the other day and thought it looked fab.

meltedmarsbars Fri 05-Jun-09 13:59:56

Have just had broad beans for lunch - lightly blanched, doused in vinaigrette and sprinkled with crispy bacon bits, surprisingly very nice!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now