Hoi Sin sauce? and salad, in wraps?

JeanPoole Tue 02-Jun-09 16:07:01

oh thats a cold idea.

nice and light too.

JeanPoole Tue 02-Jun-09 16:07:37

cold idea? i mean good?

ive got a bit of sunstroke i think

ButtercupWafflehead Tue 02-Jun-09 16:09:37

Inspired by my fave M&S meal deal I'm afraid!

JeanPoole Tue 02-Jun-09 16:14:58

lolgrin

my fav starter!

Drunken duck a la Come Dine With Me?
www.channel4.com/food/recipes/occasions/dinner-parties/come-dine-with-me/series-4/drunken-duck-with- plum-sauce-recipe_p_1.html

JeanPoole Tue 02-Jun-09 16:19:46

oh that does look lovely!

notamumyetbutoneday Tue 02-Jun-09 16:31:29

Jean please may I ask where you got your duck breasts from? We are oop North sans waitrose etc and a bit in the sticks and havent been able to find them anywhere locally.

Horton Tue 02-Jun-09 16:41:14

www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/recipes/article2169359.ece is gorgeous with roast meat. I'd do that and grill or roast the duck breasts until the skin is crisp and serve with potato salad and green veg or green salad.

Sainsburys often have duck breasts.

JeanPoole Tue 02-Jun-09 16:43:23

notamummyyet, dh got them from tescos.
we sometimes get them from ocados i think

horton thanks but that link didn't work

Horton's link

JeanPoole Tue 02-Jun-09 16:52:14

oh wow that souds yummy!

EccentricaGallumbits Tue 02-Jun-09 16:57:56

tuck them in your bra and pretend you are a glamour model.

Horton Tue 02-Jun-09 17:16:27

Oh, sorry! But it is delicious, I promise.

Horton Tue 02-Jun-09 17:17:05

Thanks, TOMPD!

clumsymum Tue 02-Jun-09 17:18:46

grill them ands serve with a sauce made from warmed black cherry jam, with a dash of brandy added. Some new potatoes and green salad would work with that.

JeanPoole Tue 02-Jun-09 17:29:30

lol aat put them in your bra!
i brought a bra with removable gel pads the other day.
made jordan look small

grin

so heavy though!

horton it sounds lovely!
i don't have red vinger, i do have red or white wine and vinegarthough?

oh that also sounds heavenly clumsymum.

Horton Tue 02-Jun-09 17:58:43

White wine vinegar or cider vinegar would be fine. Malt vinegar might be a bit heavy.

Horton Tue 02-Jun-09 17:59:11

Or lemon juice would be fine, too.

JeanPoole Tue 02-Jun-09 18:36:51

thanks i'm going to go and buy some red wine vinegar, and brandy

so i can do either one tomorrow.

clumsymum, how do you make the sauce?

do supermarkets sell brandy minitures

BonsoirAnna Tue 02-Jun-09 18:41:19

You could make hachis parmentier de canard which is actually duck shepherd's pie. Duck is lovely with mashed potatoes. Or you could just grill the breasts under a very hot grill, fatty side up, until they are crispy on the outside (you will need to score them diamond-wise first) and pink and juicy inside, and serve them with mashed potatoes and some haricots verts.

JeanPoole Tue 02-Jun-09 18:46:22

don't fancy duck shepards pie.

what are haricots verts?

Thunderduck Tue 02-Jun-09 20:12:51

I love this idea` from French Women Don't Get Fat,not that I'm implying anything.grin

It's very simple but delicious and if you don't have any of the ingredients you can improvise or miss one out.

Put sa pinch of coarse salt,crumbled bay leaves,dried thyme,parsley, 2 garlic ccloves,peeled and sliced, 1/2 teaspoon shallor, black pepper, coarse is best into a baking pan and roll the duck breasts in the mixture.

Once both sides are thoroughly coated, cover with clingfilm and put in the fridge, skin side down. Leave it to marinate for 24 hours, or as close to as possible, turning once.

Then wipe or rinse to remove excess marinade, though I like to leave a little on.

You can then grill for 2-3 minutes skin side down, turn then grill again for 3-4 minutes, longer if you don't like it medium rare.

I prefer to fry it skin side down though, no fat is required to do so as the breasts fry in their own fat.

It's simple but delicious. I usually have it with sauteed potatoes and roasted asparagus.

Thunderduck Tue 02-Jun-09 20:13:56

Haricot verts are just a type of green beans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now