Talk

Advanced search

Rhubarb, what to do with it, how to store it?

(8 Posts)
Bumperlicioso Sun 31-May-09 12:16:30

I got given some fresh rhubarb yesterday and I want to make something nice with it to take to some friends on Friday. How should I store it until then? Freeze it? How do I do that? And does anyone have any yummy recipes?

ScummyMummy Sun 31-May-09 16:14:03

Can't beat a rhubarb crumble, imo. You could make it and then freeze the whole crumble, maybe.

Bumperlicioso Sun 31-May-09 20:46:25

That's a good idea, thanks SM

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Sun 31-May-09 21:25:58

I like to make rhubarb-orange coffee cake. This is the recipe that I use and it tastes like an apple with sour cream coffee cake-very mild, rich, and moist. I just chop up my rhubarb and put it in zip-lock freezer bags with the air sucked when I have more rhubarb than I can use.

I would think, though, if your rhubarb's fresh that you could keep it in your fridge until ready to use?

thisisyesterday Sun 31-May-09 21:28:07

yes, you can freeze it. just chop it up and bag it and chuck it in the freezer

hunkermunker Sun 31-May-09 21:30:50

Rhubarb needs a fair wedge of sugar - very sour.

Strawberries are divine with rhubarb - strawberry and rhubarb crumble is beautiful.

thisisyesterday Mon 01-Jun-09 19:14:36

unless it's forced, in which case it should be thin and pink and beautifully sweet

meltedmarsbars Tue 02-Jun-09 13:09:31

Rhubarb cake: its a moist square thing with chunks of rhubarb in it. I make it for our village fete and apparently people come each year specifically to have some!!

380g brown sugar
80g butter
300g pl Flour + 1 tsp bicarb
150g yogurt/creme fraiche
2 eggs
grated rind I lemon
1 tsp cinnamon
400g rhubarb, chopped into 1cm pieces.

Method:
cream butter and sugar, add lemon rind, eggs, yog/creme fraiche.

Mix in flour, bicarb, cinnamon, rhubarb.

Bake in a roasting dish for 40 mins to 1 hour till skewer comes out clean. Cool in tin, turn out and cut into squares.

Taste improves even more after each day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now