Talk

Advanced search

Any suggestions for a nice Sunday lunch that won't involve me standing in a boiling hot kitchen for an hour?

(21 Posts)
angelene Sat 30-May-09 19:41:19

I'm hopeless in the heat and really don't want to spend ages in a hot kitchen tomorrow. But I would still like to do a nice Sunday lunch for the three of us.

Any suggestions? I am at a bit of a loss.

TIA

nowwearefour Sat 30-May-09 19:42:10

we are having a bbq tomorrow instead of our usual roast...

angelene Sat 30-May-09 19:47:44

Oh I should have said, I don't really fancy a bbq either because of my hay fever and the heat.

You wouldn't want to live with me when it's hot, tbh. I am a complete drama queen scroogette grin

Twims Sat 30-May-09 19:48:48

Chicken stew - just leave to cook in the slow cooker.

OrmIrian Sat 30-May-09 19:51:11

Cook a chicken before hand. Eat it cold with baked potatoes, and some nice salads,

FrannyandZooey Sat 30-May-09 19:53:46

roasted veg - strips of sweet potato, courgette, peppers and mushrooms are my favourite
eat with pittas / wraps / rice and some hummus or sour cream

brimfull Sat 30-May-09 19:54:06

yes roast chicken and salad

easiest meal in the world

angelene Sat 30-May-09 19:58:02

Ooh, slow cooker idea very good, I've borrowed my mum's 30 year old model (you should see the recipe book that comes with it - complete 70s nightmare meals!) and have had one attempt at trying it out so I might go for that.

Roast chicken also good although DH has a 'thing' about cold meat hmm, I will discuss.

Thanks very much!

nickschick Sat 30-May-09 19:58:34

...........carvery at the pub??

or

get a ready cooked chicken at the supermarket

angelene Sat 30-May-09 20:05:43

Nickschick is the winner!

One of those salmonella-enhanced ready cooked hot chickens from the supermarket and some nice salad.

And a much less hot and bothered angelene.

Result!

nickschick Sat 30-May-09 20:11:40

grin

VictorianSqualor Sat 30-May-09 20:26:44

Quiche, with salad, charlotte potatoes and pickles and things.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 30-May-09 20:33:33

Don't know about anyone else, but no one is really hungry in the hot weather here.... (aside from the DCs having sausages!)

MaggieBee Sat 30-May-09 20:34:49

a salade nicoise. put loads of potoatoes and eggs and tuna in it so it's really filling.

bag of rocket and mixed salad, cucumber, tomato, black olives and green beans (although I didn't have green beans). Made this last night and sat outside to eat it. tortilla chips with dips to 'sup' it a bit! cos salad for dinner can be a bit scary. to some! not to me.

jkklpu Sat 30-May-09 20:42:47

Definitely a roast with roast veg. Prepare all the veg before you put the oven on, then it's just a matter of going back into the kitchen to put them into the oven when the meat's already well on the way.

jkklpu Sat 30-May-09 20:43:27

oh, and make sure to put some garlic pips in with the rest of the veg

EffiePerine Sat 30-May-09 20:47:38

get your DH to cook while you relax in the coolest part of the house with a G&T

TsarChasm Sat 30-May-09 20:47:46

Poach some salmon steaks. Have cold with a lovely salad and some lemony new potatoes.

Washersaurus Sat 30-May-09 20:48:24

Go out for lunch?

angelene Sun 31-May-09 20:58:38

Just popping back to say thanks all for these suggestions which will be great if the hot weather continues.

Effie unfortunately my DH doesn't know one end of a saucepan from another, we have done a few remedial cooking lessons after the Jamie series but he can't even bloody chop a vegetable!

Washersaurus your idea is great but I'd already used it on Friday and Saturday!

I bought a ready cooked chicken and we had it with some steamed boiled new spuds and salad, with strawberries and ice cream for pud. Lovely job.

CharlotteVV Wed 03-Jun-09 12:48:31

Looks like it's raining (sooo unfair) down South again this weekend but maybe a reason to stay in a get cosy with the sofa.

All in one easy oven bake is always my answer to these days: Chicken, Potatoes (cut into wedges) plus carrots, parsnips, table spoon honey, drizzle of oil and some rosemary is so good and 40 odd mins in the oven whilst you check the wine's ok to serve ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now