Talk

Advanced search

Indian 5 spice mix / panch puran

(3 Posts)
misshardbroom Sat 30-May-09 19:35:30

I've got a Rachel Allen curry recipe that requires an Indian spice mix called panch puran (spellings of this vary, according to Google).

Anyway, I hot-footed it to my extraordinarily helpful Indian grocer, who sold me a little bag of it for the bargain price of 99p.

(It's a mixture of cumin, fenugreek, kalonji, fennel and mustard seeds).

My Rachel Allen recipe only needs a bit of it, so does anyone have any handy recipes that might use up the rest?

Also, the extraordinarily helpful Indian grocer told me that I could either dry-toast the seeds and use them whole, or grind them. If I wanted to grind them, how would I do this? Is it a pestle & mortar job?

It wouldn't bother me to use them whole but I think DH might have a nervous breakdown if he encountered a whole fennel seed in his dinner.

meltedmarsbars Sat 30-May-09 22:24:14

You can either pestle and mortar (best for small amounts) or coffee-grinder thing (larger amounts).

Many Madhur Jaffrey recipes use panch-puran.

misshardbroom Sun 31-May-09 12:47:25

can anyone recommend a Madhur Jaffrey book? Or any other good Indian cookery book, for that matter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now