Talk

Advanced search

Cream Tea: jam or cream first??

(12 Posts)
Louise2004 Sat 30-May-09 09:19:07

My family and I had a big discussion recently about whether the cream or the jam should go on the scone first. Can any of you put this discussion to rest for us?

It seems the females in my family put the jam first then the cream but the males put the cream first then the jam. Is it simply a female/male thing, with nobody being right or wrong, or is there a correct way?

Thanks smile

mrsmaidamess Sat 30-May-09 09:21:47

Jam first, always. But I thought it was ageographical thing, Cornwall put the cream on first and Dorset the other way round (I may have those in a twist)

ReallyReally Sat 30-May-09 09:23:02

jam

how can you balance jam on a heap of cream

it's physics

PolkSaladLucie Sat 30-May-09 09:23:05

Cornwall is cream first - Devon is jam first.

I tend to do butter, jam then cream! Makes sense as jam is heavier than cream surely...

Marthasmama Sat 30-May-09 09:23:34

Jam. How do you put cream first unless you blob the jam on with a spoon......<drool> Mmmmmmm......cream tea......

Tambajam Sat 30-May-09 09:24:26

Cream first here. I'm a Devon girl originally where cream is thicker and acts like a butter . When cream is a bit thinner it has to be jam first.
In Cornwall, it's usually jam first.

cocolepew Sat 30-May-09 09:25:22

Jam.

no butter. Yuk.

Tambajam Sat 30-May-09 09:27:01

Too funny how everyone has it round different ways!
Who is off to google?

Thunderduck Sat 30-May-09 09:27:56

Jam first.

mrsmaidamess Sat 30-May-09 09:50:07

In Surrey we do jam and cream first, then scone. You get a very sticky hand, but by gum it's tasty.

Louise2004 Sat 30-May-09 14:44:01

OK, I had a look at wikipedia and it says that cream teas originate from Devon where they eat it cream first then jam on scones. In Cornwall their cream teas should apparently be served on a sweeter roll, rather than a scone, with butter first then jam then cream. In both, the scone/bread should be warm, the cream clotted and the jam strawberry.

So it looks like we're all right (but no butter or sweet rolls for me, please!), depending on whether we're eating a Cornish or Devonshire cream tea, of course!

Thanks for all your help in helping solve this discussion smile

mrspooh Sun 31-May-09 18:25:18

i used to work in a cream tea shop in devon and i always do lashings of cream first!! maybe cos thats the best bit imo!! then jam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now