Talk

Advanced search

Really boring question but really need some interesting healthy sandwich filling ideas or alternatives to sandwiches.

(20 Posts)
Blossomhill Thu 05-May-05 20:29:10

The kids seem to be living off of ham sandwiches right now as Marmite is not allowed. Just really need some new ideas as I am totally lost what to give them. I am even thinking of sandwich alternatives, just what?
Thanks

Enid Thu 05-May-05 20:31:22

for packed lunches? dd1 doesnt like sandwiches much so she often has:

croissant with cheese in
pitta bread with hummus
cocktail sausages, carrot sticks and yellow pepper strips
rice salad

WideWebWitch Thu 05-May-05 20:32:21

pasta salad?
chicken?

Enid Thu 05-May-05 20:33:18

oh yeah, sometimes she has bits of cold chicken and a piece of crusty bread

Enid Thu 05-May-05 20:33:38

she has other things as well but these are just the sandwich alternatives

stitch Thu 05-May-05 20:36:43

sandwich fillings.
cheese and pickle
cheese
cheese spread
tuna mayo
egg mayo
chicken mayo
kebab
shammi kebab and ketchup
grilled chicken fillets cut into strips
mincemeat
hummus
or any of the above in pitta bread

lavenderrr Thu 05-May-05 20:41:51

scope out most of the contents of a roll until you are left with the crusty bit and add yoghurt, apple and cheese, your own dip with healthy croutons, carrots, etc..mash an avocado and add garlic, tomato and add to a ramekin dish...soda bread with cream cheese and cucumber, chicken drumsticks cooked in honey/garlic/soy sauce/orange zest/ oil paste, or plain drumsticks if they like plain chicken, cold left over roast meat sliced and added to a pitta bread, along with lettuce, yoghurt, basil/coriander whatever fresh herbs you happen to have, thin slices of tomato, squeeze of lemon juice and freshly grated pepper, can use sausages or whatever you have left even cold spag bol if you have any....quiche and carrot cake, fruit in natural juice in a tupperware dish...can't you tell am a frustrated wanna be chef (not) and raisins and any dried fruit..

Blossomhill Thu 05-May-05 21:00:24

Oh thanks

Lots of really useful ideas!

popsycal Thu 05-May-05 21:01:26

hummus and breadsticks

Xena Thu 05-May-05 21:02:17

My unadventurus DS eats Pasta, chicken, cucmber in a small bowl.

Caligula Thu 05-May-05 21:03:50

Can I just ask - marmite is not allowed? Que???

Is it because of their advertising campaign?

Thanks for starting this thread btw, my DS lives off ham sandwiches and strips of carrots, school lunch-wise.

Olives is the other thing I put in his sandwich box, but he goes through phases with that. And slices of cucumber go down quite well, for some reason.

Blossomhill Thu 05-May-05 21:06:47

Caligula - no dd is not allowed marmite as she is hyperactive and it makes her even more so. Yeast can do that you know and marmite is just pure yeast!

Xena Thu 05-May-05 21:10:38

I didn't know that BH. I have cut out all additives, colourings and e numbers. But what other things?

Caligula Thu 05-May-05 21:12:06

Oh I didn't know that - maybe I'll cut out the marmite for DD - she has it every morning on toast.

Blossomhill Fri 06-May-05 07:41:04

Xena - I think it depends on the child. Some children are fine with marmite, others like my dd it casues a reaction. There are so many foods that are good for us that aren't necessarily right IYKWIM. It helps to look at the diet and you can usually see triggers.

lailag Fri 06-May-05 08:41:27

Have been wondering after reading similar threads and as ds starts school in September, what about putting these these things in lunch boxes that should be kept in the fridge? Like mayo/meat etc???

MissChief Fri 06-May-05 08:42:59

learnt sneaky trick from other parents - pack a fruit juice carton having put in freezer over night to use as ice pack next day.

singersgirl Fri 06-May-05 23:19:43

To add to other ideas, I also do cold eggy bread/French toast, homemade waffles or pancakes, Spanish omelette, leftover potato wedges, meatballs, homemade chicken nuggets. I did try rice balls (just cold rice pressed into little balls) but understandably it didn't do much for DS1. Also breadsticks or celery with cream cheese as a dip.

sophy Sun 08-May-05 20:04:07

DS1 is really fussy but loves salmon and avocado in his sandwiches: I mash up tinned salmon with avo, lemon and a tiny bit of mayo. he has even taken to asking for it for breakfast!

Dior Sun 08-May-05 20:18:41

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: