Talk

Advanced search

Ready Brek

(44 Posts)
Sonnet Mon 18-May-09 12:10:28

I would love it if my DC would eat porridge but they just do not at all.

I have recently converted them to Ready Brek thinking it a halfway house with the view of maybe making porridge more palatable in the future.
Anyway a friend of mine has told me that "Ready Brek is full of added sugar and in fact you can see the sugar crystals in it"

I have checked the ingredients and there is no sugar, glucose, fuctrose syrups added at all. In fact when I do a nutrition comparison with the porridge oats box it is almost the same and there is definatly no more sugar than in porridge.

So should I carry on and ignore her comments. Is she correct and am I way off the mark with my beleif that ready brek is ok?
We are due to go away on holiday soon and she dosn't want her dc touching ready brek and would prefer them to eat rice krispies and wheatabix instead

Seona1973 Mon 18-May-09 12:17:36

ready brek has no added salt or sugar so your friend is talking rubbish. Weetabix and rice crispies both have more salt/sugar than ready brek. Why not cut out the nutritional info panel on the box and get her to compare the details with the other cereals.

claireybee Mon 18-May-09 12:20:05

Oh some people know everything without actually knowing anything at all. Ignore her.

Is she getting confused with baby porridge? That is pretty sugary.

Just take seperate cereal when you go away-I know I'd rather mine ate ready brek than rice crispies

Seeline Mon 18-May-09 12:20:33

I think ordinary plain Ready Brek is fine - I agree no mention of added sugar etc on the pack. I think you can get other instant porridge type breakfasts which often have other added flavours - I think I've seen things like apple and cinamon, and caramel. I'm sure that these would probably contain more sugar. Maybe she's thinking of these.

HensMum Mon 18-May-09 12:27:10

Think Seeline is right. I love the Golden Syrup flavoured Oats So Simple and you can see the sugar in that. Tis lovely! grin

Seona1973 Mon 18-May-09 12:27:45

ready brek has 1g of sugar and less than 0.1g of salt per 100g

rice krispies have 10g of sugar and 1.625g of salt per 100g

weetabix has 4.4g of sugar and 0.65g of salt per 100g

Ready brek has the lowest salt sugar out of the 3 cereals.

Sonnet Mon 18-May-09 13:37:44

Wow thanks for all your replies - I feel better now. I am shock that weetabix has more!

Because she sets herself as being the authority on food I often feel uncomfortable and unsure of whct I do know.
I will def tell her that ready brek has less sugar if she comments sniffliy whilst her children are tucking into bowels of weetabix and rice Krispies....

FrankMustard Mon 18-May-09 14:04:15

You could always take some oats with you and give them to the children raw - my boys love them with milk for beakfast (and chopopef ruit maybe) but they don't like porridge, so we eat loads of plain oats - and there's no sugar in those (nor is there in Ready Brek., of course)but they're a bit quicker to prepare thatn ready brek.

Overmydeadbody Mon 18-May-09 14:08:07

sounds like your 'friend' doesn't actually bother reading the ingreidnets list or nutritional informaiton on packets grin

For what it's worth, have you tried making porridge with ground up oats (oatmeal) instead of whole oats? I just bung them in the blender dry and whizz is to a powder. Gives a smoother texture, like ready brek. Not that there's anything wrong with ready brek, but incase you run out!

spinspinsugar Mon 18-May-09 14:13:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sonnet Mon 18-May-09 15:39:51

Thanks Frankmustard - what a great idea, I never thought of that, will try that ASAP. Similarly overmydeadbody, that is a great idea.....
grinspinspinsugar - I do mean bowels (plural) each child will eat weetabix x2 topped with rice krispies and cornflakes and often have a second bowel(minus the weetabix)!!
Hmm whilst my DC are not very good at breakfast!!!

Sonnet Mon 18-May-09 15:41:07

A question overmydeadbody please:

If I ground up porridge oats do I need to cook it for less time?

sazzerbear Mon 18-May-09 15:42:13

Annabel Karmel gives Ready Brek the thumbs-up - nuff said! grin

Sonnet Mon 18-May-09 15:45:55

Lol Sazzerbear!

sazzerbear Mon 18-May-09 15:49:09

I don't think Ready Brek is all that bad when you see all the other brands advertised - most containing chocolate!

Seona1973 Mon 18-May-09 16:17:54

Sonnet I think you may mean bowls as bowels has a whole other meaining wink

Seona1973 Mon 18-May-09 16:18:33

meaning, even!!

Divvy Mon 18-May-09 16:22:04

I am shock as always thought ready brek was worse out of them all!

annaje Mon 18-May-09 16:25:18

Ready Brek is one of the best cereals you can give them - it's just refined oats.

I do put sugar or maple syrup on it though to make it more palatable

FrankMustard Mon 18-May-09 21:08:54

I think that with all the sugary cereals marketed at children, people would be surprised when they realise that children actually don't always want the sugary ones and as adults we're almost conditioning them to expect the sweetness by offering them! I'm not against the odd bowl of coco pops for a treaty breakfast, don't get me wrong, BUT I can honestly say that when I ask my boys what they want for breakfast (and we have a cereal cupboard to rival Seinfeld's!), the usual answer is oats! They don't have sugar on it, or honey, but sometimes they have a sprinkling of another cereal on the top, like cornflakes or rice krispies(I know, strange blokes!).

BCNS Mon 18-May-09 21:12:18

oh ready brek is brilliant stuff.. .. dc's still like me to add some dried fruit to it and a little honey..

it's is now there poorly food

Divvy Mon 18-May-09 21:34:43

I love to eat it cold, I told the makers I did this they were shocked (I used to clean the offices), but then a while later it was on the packageing!

We are going to have some for breakfast, I may even have a bowl now wink

BUT why do HV say give them weetabix? I thought I was doing the right thing, giving them fibre!

WinkyWinkola Mon 18-May-09 21:37:10

Isn't Ready Brek just ground up oats? So porridge in other words?

I love the stuff and I eat it cold too.

The chocolate variety is so chocolatey though and I have to mix it with the plain for the DCs. They wolf down a big bowl of it every morning. They like it hot though.

Overmydeadbody Mon 18-May-09 21:37:27

sonnet sorry for late reply, yes if you grind it up it needs much much less time to cook.

WinkyWinkola Mon 18-May-09 21:37:42

And great for dealing with my morning sickness too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now