Talk

Advanced search

Mince beef.....what to do with it ?? am bored of spagbol etc

(16 Posts)
nutcracker Wed 04-May-05 13:28:54

Have a big tray of mince beef but don't want spag bol, pasta bake or shepards pie so what else can i do ??

Gwenick Wed 04-May-05 13:29:32

meat loaf, burgers?

Tinker Wed 04-May-05 13:29:48

Meatballs, lasagne, mousaka (sp?)

nutcracker Wed 04-May-05 13:30:32

hmmmm lasagne, i could do that because i have some pasta sheets. Is it hard though cos i am crap at cooking .

foxinsocks Wed 04-May-05 13:30:35

chilli con carne

WigWamBam Wed 04-May-05 13:30:59

Chilli, beef cobbler, meat pie, meatballs?

purpleturtle Wed 04-May-05 13:31:48

chilli with tacos - made a fun change for us last week. But they're nearly impossible to eat cleanly!

Tinker Wed 04-May-05 13:31:49

Easy. Make spag bol sauce and white sauce. Put in dish in layers, leaving white sauce on top. Sprinkle with grated cheese. 40 minutes gas mark 4 or 5

tillykins Wed 04-May-05 13:32:00

Can someone post a recipe for mousakka? I love it but have no idea how to make it

And meatloaf - what is that? i hear it mentioned but I don't think I ever had it

nutcracker Wed 04-May-05 13:32:04

These all sound good but scary .

I hate doing something new, am always worried i'll mess it up.

Tinker Wed 04-May-05 13:33:48

Meatloaf is just a big meatball on a loaf tin.

Mousakka - make as lasagne but use slices of roasted aubergines instead of pasta. And need to make white sauce richer with egg yolks

helsy Wed 04-May-05 13:34:11

Home-made burgers?
Nigella's meatballs? She says use pork and beef mince mixed, but they're lovely with just beef/lamb mince.
Lasagne's easy if you can do cheese sauce. The rest is putting stuff on top of other stuff.

WigWamBam Wed 04-May-05 13:36:09

For a meatloaf, you just combine the mince with some chopped onion, herbs, breadcrumbs, bit of Worcestershire sauce, stick it in a loaf tin, cover with foil, and bung it in the oven for an hour and a quarter or so. You can add chopped chilli if you like it spicy, or throw in some chopped fried mushrooms to bulk it out a bit.

bubblerock Wed 04-May-05 13:39:42

Tacos are great!! V easy if you buy the dinner kit, just add the mince, cheese and salad stuff - Yum

WigWamBam Wed 04-May-05 13:41:14

Home made burgers are a doddle, too - combine the mince with some chopped onion, mix up with your hands, form burger shapes and grill. Some people like to use breadcrumbs to make the mince go further, and egg to bind, but I don't when I make them for dd.

ChaCha Wed 04-May-05 15:55:30

I agree - moussaka! A family favourite! We used fried aubergine and potato slices with a bechamel sauce.

Also, chilli con carne, you can buy jars of the stuff and you simply brown the minced meat and add - easy option but very, very tasty! Try the discovery brand. My DH loves it in wraps with a bit of sour cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now