Talk

Advanced search

Cake icing help needed.

(14 Posts)
Kayzr Sun 17-May-09 12:12:19

For DS2's christening I am making some little cupcakes. I am planning on icing them similar to these.

What I need to know is: can I ice them the day before or do I need to do them that morning?

Thanks

Astrophe Sun 17-May-09 12:21:52

I think you could do it the night before...so long as theres no cream in the icing...butter should be ok I think, as long as its not too warm. Maybe do a test run the week before?

To save time, I'd make all the cakes a week or more ahead, and then freeze them (but don't ice them frozen - thaw the day before)

They look lovely, btw

Kayzr Sun 17-May-09 12:24:02

I'm going to do a couple of practices I think. Never done it before so want to make sure I get it right.

shoofly Sun 17-May-09 19:32:27

If you are icing them with buttercream, which it looks like in the picture, you can do them a day or two before - the icing will actually help to keep the sponge underneath fresh. It will also firm the icing up a little, which is really helpful if you need to transport them anywhere. Good luck

Kayzr Mon 18-May-09 08:32:18

Yeah it is buttercream.

I'm really looking forward to doing it!!

QuintessentialShadows Mon 18-May-09 08:52:03

could I please have the recipe for butter cream icing? And how do I get them in different colours?

(icing novice)

Wags Mon 18-May-09 08:56:06

I use the recipe on the back of the Tate & Lyle icing sugar box for butter cream. The paste colours are best if you can get them. We have a cake decorating shop nearby. Just use them sparingly and build up the colour. I use a cocktail stick and dip it in and add a tiny blob, mix see what colour looks like then add more. If you haven't got the Tate & Lyle box let me know I will copy it here for you.

Kayzr Mon 18-May-09 08:57:23

The recipe is use is 6oz softened butter and 12oz icing sugar. You then just beat them together until well blended. I use colour pastes like this one for colouring the icing.

Wags Mon 18-May-09 09:02:30

Yes those paste's are fab. I got a lovely pink from a teeny tiny bit of poppy red but on the other hand I needed black for something and had to practically use half the pot so that it was black and not grey! Also Kayzr, I have iced them the night before and they were great, just covered them really loosely with foil, sort of made a big tent over them with the foil, put them in the coolest place I could find (not the fridge though) and they were great. I have got the cake decorating bug now grin

Kayzr Mon 18-May-09 09:05:02

I have made a couple of cakes but just covered them in white icing and then written a message on. So now I am trying to make new things. I've also made a fruit cake that needs icing too. It's so addictive!

Wags Mon 18-May-09 09:07:03

The Tate & Lyle recipe is the same as yours but it also adds a tbsp of milk. I tend to add just a bit until its the consistency I want.

Wags Mon 18-May-09 09:09:36

Now writing is the one thing I can't master. Did a Power Ranger cake for DS this year and just about got a wiggly name and his age. Didnt bother with Happy Birthday or anything. Must practice more. I have got the cup cake stand and have used it loads. I really liked the stripey cakes that Kirstie Alsop did on her Homemade programme this week but think they would look a bit wobbly like hers. Good luck with the christening cakes. I have found the Nigella cup cake recipe the best by far for the sponge. Yum.

Kayzr Mon 18-May-09 09:11:08

Those stripey cakes were great but again I think mine would be wobbly!

cakedecorator Mon 03-Aug-09 22:34:58

buttercream is just an amount of butter and double the icing sugar. So .. a good butter, e.g. kerry gold, etc 250g and then 500g of icing sugar, add a bit of boiled cooled water from the kettle, to soften, beat on a low setting until creamy soft. The longer you beat the whiter it goes - don't over do it though!.
Paste colours are by far the best - but if you're making large amounts of red or black - buy the extra concentrate paste colours like these, because you would end up using a whole pot of the normal paste colours!
hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now