Talk

Advanced search

How do I jazz up prawn for a snacky starter type thing

(17 Posts)
Pennies Sat 16-May-09 18:46:31

I bought a load of frozen prawns (cooked) as DH and I often snack on ones before dinner.

How can I make them a bit more interesting than just as they are?

I'm thinking along the lines of some kind of sauces to dip them in or maybe some kind of marinades.

flossie64 Sat 16-May-09 18:52:00

Little gem lettuce leaves, top with one or two prawns and a dollop of rose marie sauce, then a sprinkle of paprika. Nice little retro canapes. Or shot glasses with satay sauce in them and cocktail sticks of prawns to dip in it.

stuffitlllama Sat 16-May-09 18:57:36

Use sweet chilli sauce. I think it comes in reasonable size bottles like ketchup. I think definitely nicest when prawns are hot, stir fried a bit with big lengths of spring onions and a bit of ginger. I don't know if you can buy those pancakes separately that come with peking duck but if you wrap them in those or, like flossie says, in lettuce then mmm.

flossie64 Sat 16-May-09 19:06:56

you can buy those pancakes separately in Sainburys and they do a huge bottle of sweet chilli sauce for £2.15 , much cheaper than anywhere else.

Overmydeadbody Sat 16-May-09 19:11:12

oh god no flossie, not prawn cocktail <boak>

You could just melt some butter, sautee some garlic in it and pour it over the prawns. Yum.

Or melt some butter, add garlic, ginger and chillies and pour over.

Or use them to make sushi?

Overmydeadbody Sat 16-May-09 19:13:08

how about potted shrimp?

TsarChasm Sat 16-May-09 19:14:40

Ooh ooh I made this once. V goodsmile (and easywink)

stuffitlllama Sat 16-May-09 19:16:09

how do you make sushi? can you buy all that stuff ready prepared now?

I like p. cocktail. I think I actually really love it. I only have it at my mum's and it's a big treat.

Pennies Sat 16-May-09 19:17:23

Oooh these are just great. Am going to do a Marie Rose sauce for tonight but am def going to try some of the others soon too.

Keep 'em coming!

flossie64 Sat 16-May-09 19:17:35

I did say it was retro and not everyone likes the same things.

stuffitlllama Sat 16-May-09 19:17:52

toast up french bread and do a brushetta brucheta bruschetta? thing with bashed up prawns and cucumber

Overmydeadbody Sat 16-May-09 19:19:28

sushi very very easy, and yes you can buy all the stuff quite easily.

You need sushi rice. You cook that, and then pour a mixture of rice wine vinegar and disolved sugar over it. Then you use this rice as the base and with prawns I'd cut out little squares of cling film, put a few prawns in each, then a tablespoon of the rice, then wrap the cling film up to make a tight ball, then leave for half an hour, thne unwrap to reveal lovely little balls of rice with prawns on top. Then just serve with pickled ginger, wasabi and soy sauce.

It is easy, I promise. Google for the exact quantities for making the rice.

stuffitlllama Sat 16-May-09 19:19:57

boil up rice during the day, enough for two evenings, then stir fry as much as you need with some onion and prawns and with sweet chilli on the side

i don't do cooking threads that much but this is fun

Overmydeadbody Sat 16-May-09 19:22:26

or rolled sushi, which will need seaweed sheets as well.

Prawn goes well with cucumber in shushi too.

It's not the retro that puts me off prawn cocktail, I just don't like it. Nothing wrong with it if you do though grin

MrsMattie Sat 16-May-09 19:23:11

Stirfry them in hot garlicky butter, then chuck in small chunks of avocado at the last minute to warm through.
Pour into a 'sharing' bowl and have some warm, crusty white bread (good for mopping up garlic butter). Retro and yum smile

Overmydeadbody Sat 16-May-09 19:26:03

Oh MrsMattie <<droooool>>

Leslaki Thu 04-Jun-09 20:19:08

fry some garlic and coriander in olive oil (can add lime juice if you want) and add the prawns to warm them up. Serve in ramekins/bowls/out teh pot/ with lovely warm ciabatta or other fave crusty bread to mop up the juices.!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now