Talk

Advanced search

How much does your 4 yr old eat?

(17 Posts)
Aimsmum Tue 03-May-05 19:35:58

Message withdrawn

Heleen Tue 03-May-05 19:39:28

Looks like you are doing a good job giving her the right foods. But maybe you can try to get the attention away from food. Distract her by doing or offering something else. (If you have the energie of course, so not always!).
Kind regards,
Heleen

Aimsmum Tue 03-May-05 19:48:27

Message withdrawn

roisin Tue 03-May-05 19:57:00

Tbh I think it sounds as though she is using the word 'hungry' as an attention-seeking thing. At this age she doesn't really need snacks; I would concentrate on getting her to eat at meals - as much as she wants, with 'limitless puddings' - but mostly healthy stuff, fruit, yoghurts, etc., and then just tell her there will be nothing until the next meal, so there's no point saying she's hungry. She'll soon get used to it.

My boys eat large quantities at mealtimes, and always have, but they don't complain between meals, as they know they won't get anything

Aimsmum Tue 03-May-05 20:08:40

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Tue 03-May-05 20:11:33

DS1 has eaten:

Bowl of cereal (not sure what, dh did it)
Wholemeal toast
Sandwiches
Pot of cubes of cheese
More sandwiches
Banana
Raisins
Some rice cakes
Small packet of swizzels at Nana's house!
Half a tin of beans on wholemeal toast
2 yoghurts
Blueberry muffin

Fairly typical though somedays would eat a bit more than this

Bonkerz Tue 03-May-05 20:15:44

my ds is 4 (5 in a few months) but he also eats like a horse and is skinny!
Todya he has had:
2 slices of brown toast
banana
apple
Fruit at school
Sausage hot pot
bread roll
pasta
mixed veg
Strawberries and raisins
2 large rice cakes
2 slices of toast and small tin of beans
satsuma
2 yoghurts
3 biscuits
chocolate pudding

this is normal for him and he regularly goes to bed saying he is hungry. His dinner ladies at school think he is great cos he always asks for 2 veg with his dinner and always eats it all. He is only allowed to snack on fruit, rice cakes or yoghurts and at weekends i tend to save a 2nd dinner for him so he will end up eating 3 cooked meals a day! I dont know where he puts it all but the way i see it is that aslong as he is eating good food then so what! If my son wants sweets or biscuits he knows he has to have some fruit first and his age 4 trousers are still too big round the waist even though they are a bit short on the leg!!

Gobbledigook Tue 03-May-05 20:17:09

My ds1 is also going on about being hungry all the time and he's like a whippet! Really slim and small - especially compared to his friends!

Aimsmum Tue 03-May-05 20:21:12

Message withdrawn

roisin Tue 03-May-05 20:25:14

Must be a skinny child thing! DS2 eats masses, but is stick thin. He is almost 6, and above average height, but he wears age 4 or 4-5 trousers, which balance precariously on his non-existent hips (won't stay round his waist even with a belt), and are then the right length! LOL!

LGJ Tue 03-May-05 20:26:37

Mine is on hungerstrike (4)

Got to the bottom of it the other day, he wanted what the other children at the CM's were having, i.e shite.

He has been having cottage pie, veg, potatoes, etc, healthy food.

So we agreed that he could have "shite" what he didn' t realise was that it would be healthy sh*t.

DH spent agees doing Enid's chicken nuggets, we tiny little homemade burgers and I made potato cakes with veg blitzed through them.

Sent him off to the CM's today with, what was in his eyes sh*t food, and the little bugger refused to eat it.

Massive screammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

LGJ Tue 03-May-05 22:14:29

Bump

Because ..........if some one does not make sense of this I will cheerfully throttle him

deegward Tue 03-May-05 22:23:42

He's 4, and he can

LGJ Tue 03-May-05 22:26:20

deegward

Will be lucky to see 5

Aimsmum Wed 04-May-05 09:54:37

Message withdrawn

LGJ Wed 04-May-05 11:41:57

Yes and what is really annoying was that he was great little eater until a few months ago.

But this too will pass, Motherhood hardest bloody job in the world

HondaDream Wed 04-May-05 12:06:41

I have 3 kids dd1 is skinny and dd2 is chubby ds is about right. They all like different foods ( most days it's like a cafe) Took skinny dd1 to Dr as MIL has celiac and feared that dd1 had it. It turns out she is on the exact %ile for her height and weight. She eats a fair amount too but to be honest I think kids eat in phases acording to their needs sometimes DS just doesn't stop. All my kids eat cooked breakfast a hot lunch and a hot dinner and snack in between on yoghurts fruit, biscuits I bake cakes and my fridge is always empty and then at bedtime ask for supper. They play out alot and I think they need it. As long as it's healthy and not junk I think you can let them eat when they are hungry but also mine must eat all their food at mealtimes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: