Talk

Advanced search

Trying to wean a Bean....

(10 Posts)
beansprout Tue 03-May-05 17:16:36

Ds is 6m and 8 days. Just breast fed so far but for the last 4 days have been offering him lovingly crafted variations of fruit/veg/rice mush. He does not seem at all interested - keeps pulling a "my god that's disgusting" face and pushing it all back out with his tongue.

Stupid question - is this because it is all new or is he just not ready? Should I persevere or leave it for a bit and come back to it?

TIA

FLUM Tue 03-May-05 17:21:47

just try once a day if you can be bothered. or leave til later then you can just start with finger foods - much easier than all that pureeing.

Sponge Tue 03-May-05 17:58:59

Start with something really bland - just baby rice. If all he's had is milk so far then fruit and veg is going to tast pretty weird. Gradually build in some more tastes - bland ones at first - and he'll get used to it. Don't push it with anything he's spitting out. Just leave it and try again in a week say.

Twiglett Tue 03-May-05 18:36:54

I'd leave it a week or 2 then try again with baby rice mixed with breastmilk

moondog Tue 03-May-05 18:38:53

Leave it for as long as poss!
It's so bloody boring spooning food into them and cleaning all the mess afterwards, not to mention the nappies-!
Enjoy your hassle free existence!

Saacsmum Wed 04-May-05 10:07:46

If he is pushing it back out then he probably isnt ready yet. It takes babies varying amounts of time to lose the extrusion reflex. When he does he will start opening his mouth in readiness and use his tongue to move food around in his mouth to gum and chew it rather than shooting it straight back out. Give him a break for a week and try again.

Turtle35 Wed 04-May-05 20:39:09

Hello Bean

congratulation on b/f for 6 months solid, what a feat I say!!

I have just started weaning my dd and it's been a tricky start, she doesn't seem to want much and has now started waking at 5.00 am looking for food. Will try and reduce formula and see how that goes, she is still on 30 oz a day.

good luck and have fun weaning bean!!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 04-May-05 20:47:54

I started weaning DS2 just before 6 months, and had a similar experience. I kept offering purees and finger foods, to see how it went, and after 3 weeks or so, suddenly he understood. He still isn't that fond of purees, unless they have meat in them. But he does ok with finger foods. I don't know if it took him that long to work it out, or whether he was just not ready.

Is he pushing the food out right away, or thinking about it first?

I'd keep trying, when you can be bothered. Don't wear yourself out with it, though.

Donbean Wed 04-May-05 20:53:46

When weening my bean i started with baby rice mixed in breast milk, familiar taste you see.
He wasnt impressed but had it none the less.
Moved onto flavoury stuff after a week, pured pear and baby rice etc, stuck each out for a week befor introducing something else. Worked a treat. Good luck.

motherinferior Wed 04-May-05 21:16:05

I'd try once a day to see if he goes for it, and otherwise not bother.

And having seen him I can tell you that he's gorgeous (and no wraith either); anyone can tell he's doing perfectly on mama's milko.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now