Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to make cauliflower cheese with cottage cheese?

(15 Posts)
LadyThompson Mon 11-May-09 10:41:01

I want to make a low fat alternative and I have a Low GI veggei cookbook which suggests using cream cheese blended with some parmesan and I was wondering if I could substitute cottage cheese for cream cheese as I have a big tub in. Has anyone cooked with cottage cheese? Is it possible?

Overmydeadbody Mon 11-May-09 10:41:58

no it won't work

rubyslippers Mon 11-May-09 10:42:27

there is probably only one thing worse than cottage cheese and that is hot cottage cheese

<<boak>>

Overmydeadbody Mon 11-May-09 10:42:45

Is the cauliflower cheese in your recipe still made with white sauce?

TrinityIsLovingHerLittleRhino Mon 11-May-09 10:43:03

no it wont work and if it did it would be disgusting

CountessDracula Mon 11-May-09 10:43:31

If you want a low fat version use parmesan
as it is so strong you only need a little

LadyThompson Mon 11-May-09 10:53:09

The creamy bit is made from cream cheese, a little parmesan and bay leaf infused cauliflower cooking water which you blend together. I don't see why I couldn't chuck cottage cheese in the blender instead of cream cheese.

CountessDracula Mon 11-May-09 11:09:43

oh right
i make mine with white sauce
can't you use very low fat cream cheese?

LadyThompson Mon 11-May-09 11:14:47

Yes, I guess so. I will probably do that then.

But I was curious about cooking with cottage cheese. That's basically what paneer is, after all, and spinach and paneer curries are so delicious.

ChopsTheDuck Mon 11-May-09 11:15:34

jsut use very low fat cream cheese. Cottage cheese surely isn't going to melt down properly. It will be white sauce with lumps!

ChopsTheDuck Mon 11-May-09 11:18:45

you prob could cook with cottage cheese if you wanted to, but not blend it in a sauce. It might work in a stir fry or something, instead of using tofu.

LadyThompson Tue 12-May-09 15:50:27

I used a combo of parmesan and cottage cheese and milk and mustard powder for the sauce. Came out fine!

usedtoreadbooks Wed 13-May-09 12:27:05

If you want a low-fat cottage cheese recipe, try it on a baked potato - it's delicious: no need for butter, just lots of black pepper and a big side salad.

Juggsy Sun 23-Apr-17 04:28:18

I know I'm late to the game but you absolutely can use cottage cheese...
Just mix 1 Egg and 1 Cup Cottage Cheese until combined mix in 500grams of cauliflower and/or broccoli put in baking dish and sprinkle with 1 to 2 Tablespoons Grated Parmesan... now bake. My mum uses frozen veg for this. However I prefer to use slightly blanched fresh cauliflower/broccoli by bringing pot of water to boil and adding fresh veg for a minute or two.

llhj Sun 23-Apr-17 04:31:22

8 years too late!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now