Talk

Advanced search

Homemade Yogurt - How?

(8 Posts)
knot Mon 02-May-05 11:59:28

I wanted to make my ouwn yogurt, how do i do it any one got a kit/recipe they use that is good? thanks

Frizbe Mon 02-May-05 13:17:47

no, bump!

moondog Mon 02-May-05 13:23:59

Ok....we used to make loads so from what I remember.....

Sterilise (ie with boiling water) a container or several, depending on how you want your yoghurt to be.
Put a tablespoon or two or plain live (has to be live) yoghurt into the container.
Heat some milk (a litre would be a good amount to start with) until just before it bubbles at the side. Allow to cool to blood temp. Add to the live yoghurt. stir gently, cover and put somewhere warm.
(Top of the fridge near the back is a good place. Near a radiator or in an airing cupboard would be good.)
Leave untouched for a good few hours and voila!!

You will need to experiment a bit, rather as one does with breadmaking but that in essence is it. If the yoghurt is too thin for your liking, you can always strain it through a clean teatowel. Put it in, hang it up and allow to drip for 30 mins or so to let some of the whey escape.
Good luck!

knot Mon 02-May-05 18:14:00

thnaks moondog, just one question once made how long does it last generally? thanks will buy extra milk and have a go, thanks

moondog Mon 02-May-05 18:19:04

A week at least!
Keep at it, it's one of those practice makes perfect things!

gingerbear Mon 02-May-05 18:20:28

Lakeland easi-yo - easy peasy.
easy yog starter kit

or yoghurt maker yog maker

moondog Mon 02-May-05 18:21:54

I've heard those are good gb (big fan of Lakeland) but I try not to buy stuff unless it is essential.

Lonelymum Mon 02-May-05 18:23:05

My mother went through a phase of making her own yoghurt once. I can't remember the details but she used a food thermos flask and it was dead easy. Just to let you know though that the finished product wasn't smooth like commercially bought yoghurt: it looked a bit curdled but that was normal. Thought that might help you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now