Talk

Advanced search

Is popcorn a "healthy" snack?

(31 Posts)
SoupDragon Sun 01-May-05 18:24:31

Obviously it's not as healthy as, say, a banana but simple popped corn, no salt, no butter, not cooked in oil, is a "healthy" alternative to crisps isn't it? I've just got a popcorn maker (it's fab!) and am using it when DSs (6 & 4) want a snack - they think it's fun.

And before you all jump on me, DS2 will not eat any fruit and it's not through a lack of trying. Might see if he eats sunflower seeds actually... <<notes idea away for future reference>>

sallystrawberry Sun 01-May-05 18:25:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Louise1980 Sun 01-May-05 18:26:29

SoupDragon I no the feeling of needing healthier snacks. My ds1 wont eat fruit but maybe I could try popcorn. I dont see the problem as long as you dont ad loads of rubbish and additives!

SoupDragon Sun 01-May-05 18:31:03

Amazon... hang on a mo This one. Although I'm now disappointed to see they have the one that looks like a duck and I didn't notice.

I'd prefer them to have fruit and things like that but no such luck. DS1 was the same but got better since starting at school and having free fruit at break time. HOping DS2 will follow suit!

SoupDragon Sun 01-May-05 18:33:11

Must point out that, despite it being fun to watch, making the popcorn is an adult only job. DS2 managed to get an unpopped kernal up his sleeve and it's left 2 nasty looking little burns. One of the faults with the popcorn makers is that they do spit out unpopped kernals. I'm working on the perfect technique though!

treacletart Sun 01-May-05 18:45:21

Hurray for popcorn! We make it every few weeks - just in a sucepan with almost no oil and then we usually add a little melted butter and a thin trickle of honey or sometimes treacle . I doubt its particularly nutritious but I dont think its particularly bad either - might even be a good fibre source? It's certainly very cheap and very delicious and Ds gets excited bouncing around the kitchen shouting Poppoppop!. My brother makes an adult version with sesame oil and chillies, yum.

Blossomhill Sun 01-May-05 18:52:34

As long as you make it yourself then yes it is a lot healthier than crisps. I make it for my kids and I like the fact that I know what's in it. It's a natural product so I really can't see the harm and it is a good source of fibre as it is a seed (originally!)

Louise1980 Sun 01-May-05 18:55:03

OK now i need to buy a popcorn maker to my list!
Already added a juicer to try to get fruit in that way!

Blossomhill Sun 01-May-05 19:04:35

You don't need a popcorn maker. Just a large saucepan and lid will do!

SoupDragon Sun 01-May-05 19:06:14

I think the point of the popcorn maker is that you don't need any oil at all. Because it's whizzed about in the machine constantly, it doesn't burn or stick at all.

SoupDragon Sun 01-May-05 19:07:20

As it's a seed, do you think other seeds would pop in a similar manner?

Tinker Sun 01-May-05 19:09:29

You can get microwave popcorn - don't know if it has anything added. Pan is easy though, just shake as it's popping. The pan, that is.

SoupDragon Sun 01-May-05 19:10:47

Microwave popcorn has salt and fat added. Not sure what else.

Frizbe Sun 01-May-05 19:15:20

The organix food guide thing recommends popcorn as a good snack! so if you go with that its ok.

SoupDragon Sun 01-May-05 19:17:06

It's an environmentally sound alternative to polystyrene packing chips too

Whizzz Sun 01-May-05 19:17:56

I've written you a limerick Soup - no one else is playing [sticking out bottom lip emoticon]

SoupDragon Sun 01-May-05 19:20:45

I did notice

snafu Sun 01-May-05 19:49:48

Popcorn is a very good healthy snack, if you make it without butter or salt or <<drools>> caramel.

Unfortunately, I tend to make a big pan, feel very virtuous, and then sprinkle half the Dead Sea over it.

MarsLady Sun 01-May-05 20:10:31

Yes, especially when smothered in butter and salt.

<<runs for the hills>> tee hee!

bossykate Sun 01-May-05 20:15:30

soupie, i think it is. don't have popcorn maker myself, i just shake it about in a big pan with a smidge of sunflower oil.

snafu Sun 01-May-05 20:46:22

Mars, you scamp

spots Sun 01-May-05 21:11:00

Oh wow, like the sound of sesame oil and chillies! any more to tell on that one?

treacletart Mon 02-May-05 19:11:54

Spots - Just spoke to my brother (DB?)and he says he doesn't have a set recipe but makes it in a machine and then shakes over whatever's to hand; sesame oil (essential he says), dried chilli flakes, garlic or celery salt, perhaps dried herbs and (sometimes) a little marigold bouillion powder and or a little smoked pimenton powder.

singersgirl Tue 03-May-05 11:21:07

SoupDragon, I've just discovered oven baked chickpeas which DS1, who doesn't like much fruit, has taken to - just marinate cooked chickpeas in a little salt and crushed garlic for 20 minutes, put on oiled baking tray and bake in oven for 15 mins at 190, 15 mins at 170 and 30 mins at 150 (or something - I reduced the temps for fan oven). They're very crispy and DS1 is happily munching on them. Not too greasy either. Could be worth a try!

chipmonkey Tue 03-May-05 11:44:11

I went to college with some dieticians and they always maintained popcorn was a very healthy snack. Don't know why but trusted them, they all ate very healthily!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: