Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Neary 5 and still really messy eater

(6 Posts)
lupinjess Tue 28-Apr-09 13:46:10

my DD1 will be 5 in the autumn and still can't seem to eat a single meal without getting half of it down her front or on the floor. Is this normal? I haven't really worried about it but she's starting school in september and I'm worried that she'll be the only one making a mess!

madwomanintheattic Tue 28-Apr-09 13:48:25

ds1 is 7.
dd1 is 9.
nuff said.

dd2 (5) is the least of my worries.
packed lunch less messy than hot dinners. avoid chocolate.

grin

Iklboo Tue 28-Apr-09 13:50:28

I'm 40 in July and it's a good day when I don't drop pasta sauce or gravy all over me norks grin
Maybe start a subtle reward thingy - least messy day, get a treat - X unmessy days = bigger reward?

Overmydeadbody Tue 28-Apr-09 13:52:02

I think at 5 it's quite normal.

What kind of cutlery does she use? That could be a factor.

lupinjess Tue 28-Apr-09 14:06:05

She uses junior sizes cutlery but rarely uses the knife and her fingers are involved more often than not.
We've tried rewards as this has worked for other things but she genuinely seems incapable of eating without making a mess.

mrshibbins Wed 22-Jul-09 17:27:31

my SD is 8 and still can't eat without getting it all over her face, her clothes, the table and the floor ...

i'm despairing and always cleaning up. she CAN eat without messiness when she really tries, but seems to think it's funny not to.

i've tried everything, both threats and praises. i've threatened a bib or highchair for ages and ages, and tomorrow i'm going to carry through my threat to buy her and make her wear a bib ... and she's not gonna like it.

am i mean or what?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now