Talk

Advanced search

did anyone start their ds/dd on solids before 4mths?

(16 Posts)
juicychops Tue 26-Apr-05 20:08:46

I think my ds os nearly ready for solids but he is only nearly 15 weeks. Is this too early? they say 4mths at the earliest but did anyone start before 4 months?

colditz Tue 26-Apr-05 20:10:31

It's pointless to be honest

Fimbo Tue 26-Apr-05 20:11:30

Yes, I started my ds at 12 weeks.

Nemo1977 Tue 26-Apr-05 20:11:55

My ds was around 12weks when he started on baby rice

bubblerock Tue 26-Apr-05 20:13:46

Go with the flow juicy! Kids aren't text book both mine were on solids at about 12 weeks - none of this baby rice crap either, wouldn't touch the stuff!

Just do what is best for you and your baby!

Have fun making a mess

Fimbo Tue 26-Apr-05 20:14:00

Actually I started both of mine at 12 weeks (ds is 16mths and dd nearly 7) neither liked baby rice and spat it out. With ds I started with Danone baby yoghurt, he absolutely loved it and took to having a spoon in his mouth like a duck to water.

vickiyumyum Tue 26-Apr-05 20:14:45

the actual recommendations are 6 months now to begin weaning!!!! don't know of anyone except those with premmies that have stuck to that, my ds1 was weaned onto babyrice and potato, carrot at about 15 weeks and ds2 was a bout 13 1/2 weeks as he was so bloody hungry all the time.

tiffini Tue 26-Apr-05 20:18:28

my ywins were 7 weeks early, and i was advised to trart early, around 14 weeks

tiffini Tue 26-Apr-05 20:18:47

sorry , twins

bubblerock Tue 26-Apr-05 20:36:34

6 months!! How ridiculous, crikey, I'm surprised we're all still alive going by what my Mum put me through - feeding solids before 4 months, putting me on my stomach to sleep, eating god knows what during pregnancy.

It drives me mad all these so called experts - just enjoy being a mum at the end of the day you know best

tigi Tue 26-Apr-05 20:38:05

first 2 were about 3 months, last was 5mths plus- just not hungry enough to be bothered. All mine hated baby rice - had danone, rusk etc. my sil has started hers on rice at 8 weeks but she is a law unto herself, and won't listen to sense anyway! She had put him on the step up milk, but took off it by HV who told her off. I'm too scared of her to butt in!

Newbarnsleygirl Tue 26-Apr-05 20:39:54

My dd was 15 weeks when I started her on solids but all children are different.

If you think your ds is ready then go for it.

Gobbledigook Tue 26-Apr-05 20:39:58

I didn't (because all ds's were not showing signs - all smallish eaters even now) but every single other mother in my NCT group started before 16 weeks (which then was the recommended starting age).

Aragon Tue 26-Apr-05 20:40:23

Current recommendation is six months. In my area though I have problems persuading some to wait until 4 months. (Am a HV) When I tell them the current advice they look at me in horror .

Although this is the current advice I think most people wean when they feel their babies are ready for it.

I started my DS at 15 weeks onto baby rice as he was beginning to grab at food from our plates and my Mum (bless her) told me I was being cruel not to feed him (my dear sister was given her first solids at two weeks in 1967 ). He seemed to cope okay with this.

The advice to wait until six months has come from the World Health Organization. Lots of problems with allergies etc due to children being weaned too early - hence the advice to wait.

If you're breastfeeding it could just be that he's having a growth spurt and will settle down again. Do what feels right to you and what you think is right for your baby. The WHO guidelines are six months but at the end of the day they are just guidelines and all babies are different.

Mandy

Pinotmum Tue 26-Apr-05 20:44:33

Both mine were weaned before 4 mth guideline (as was then) and as there is no history of allergies on either side of the family I wasn't worried about doing this. I think there were both about 15 weeks and I started off on baby rice until they were 4 months and then introduced fruit and veg purees gradually.

KathH Tue 26-Apr-05 21:25:25

dd1 - 3 mths (that was the advice 12 yrs ago)
dd2 - 3 mths (didnt realise they'd upped the age to 4 mths - she's now 8)
ds1 - 12 wks (he's 6 but was advised by gp to start as he wouldnt take his milk, turned out he had silent reflux and tbh it was a nightmare)
ds2 - 4 mths (now 7 mths but again this was on the advice of paediatrician as he has reflux). All of them were fine the only one i have a regret about starting early was ds1 as it wasnt the answer and if i'd known he had reflux i would have insisted that we do something about that rather than give him solids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now