Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you have eaten ham that is off, will you be ill ????

(9 Posts)
nutcracker Tue 26-Apr-05 19:09:52

Dp did dd1's sandwhiches for school and they were ham.
When i picked her up today, she said that they tasted disgusting but she ate them anyway.
I checked the ham when i got home and it is still in date but it has gone off, i think cos it had been open for a while.

I can't believe she ate them cos it did smell off.

She said she feels fine and she ate them about 6 hours ago.

Could she still be ill though do you think ??

Hayls Tue 26-Apr-05 19:13:48

I think she's have shown signs by now, isn't it normally about 4 hours before food poisoning shows? Could be entirely wrong but you never know...
My dh does stuff like that all the time. Apparently it's my fault for not checking the sell by dates before he uses the food

nutcracker Tue 26-Apr-05 19:19:19

I feel awful that she still ate it.

SaintGeorge Tue 26-Apr-05 19:19:22

Food poisoning symptoms can be anything from 4 to 72 hours before onset.

4 - 6hrs more likely if a virus (such as Norwalk).

8 - 24 hours is the onset for the most common variants of salmonella and campylobacter infections.

nutcracker Tue 26-Apr-05 19:19:40

Oh no

SaintGeorge Tue 26-Apr-05 19:22:44

Ham that has gone slightly 'off' is unlikely to do anything serious to her other than put her off ham in the future.

If it was infected with anything like salmonella you would have known about it before now, assuming some from the pack had already been eaten.

Hayls Tue 26-Apr-05 19:24:23

Don't stress, even if she gets a bit poorly it's not your fault (or dp's!) IT could happen to anyone so don't worry too much -hard I know

nutcracker Tue 26-Apr-05 19:25:10

Well she had eaten it yesterday too but hadn't complianed about it then.

It hasn't put her off ham either cos dp asked her what she wanted on her sandwhich tommorow and she said 'well have any nice ham cos i'll have that if we have'.

nutcracker Tue 26-Apr-05 19:25:44

Thanks, i'll try not to worry about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now