Talk

Advanced search

Solids - before or after milk ?

(5 Posts)
sleepymama Tue 26-Apr-05 11:23:32

Just wondered what other mnetters think. My ds is 19 1/2 weeks and has started on rice and solids in the last week. He has taken to them like a duck to water but I was just wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I currently feed him most of his milk and then the solids in one sitting. Is this right or should I leave say an hour between the milk and solids? Or, should he have the solids before the milk?

WigWamBam Tue 26-Apr-05 11:28:34

Whichever feels right for you. I gave solids first followed immediately by a breastfeed, but whatever works for you is the right thing to do.

Donbean Tue 26-Apr-05 11:47:06

Thats what i did with ds, i gave his milk first than an hour later i gave him his food.
I thought that he needed his milk so to ensure he got it all i gave that first, an hour later when presumably his tummy was emptied, i gave him his baby rice etc. The routine kind of evolved around that pattern.
HTH.

LIZS Tue 26-Apr-05 11:50:34

Think I did milk first until around 6 months (it is still their main source of nutrition) then spaced it out so that milk became mid morning and mid afternoon with meals in between, and for breakfast milk on waking (b'feed) and solids about an hour later.

beansmum Tue 26-Apr-05 11:51:01

at that age he will still be getting nearly all his nutrients from milk so he should get a milk feed first. What I did was give the milk first and then solids immediately after, eventually he will cut back on the milk and solids will replace that feed completely

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: