Talk

Advanced search

Do you like organic veg boxes and who do you use?

(29 Posts)
tortoiseshell Sun 24-Apr-05 20:25:20

I looked at the previous thread on this, and lots of people seem to use Abel and Cole, and one person Riverford(?) - what is the general opinion about which one is easiest to use, and is it worth it? Sorry if this is just repeating what's been said before!

Podmog Sun 24-Apr-05 20:35:27

Message withdrawn

tortoiseshell Sun 24-Apr-05 20:36:21

Did you have any reservations about Riverford apart from the delivery man? (I'm same area as you)

PinkFluffPudding Sun 24-Apr-05 20:38:47

HI, Riverford are good, we use them but have temporarily cancelled our weekly order in favour of a local grocers; we were getting sick of cauliflower cheese!

The food does taste wonderful but not being able to choose what you eat can be a bit annoying - hence my new aversion to cauliflowers. It's quite exciting though as there's usually a bit of a surprise item in the box that you may never have otherwise considered buying!

WideWebWitch Sun 24-Apr-05 20:43:31

I've registered with Abel & Cole and keep meaning to order but BEWARE - their website doesn't operate like most other online retailers: on Abel & Cole's site if you put something in your basket you have ordered it and it will turn up - there is no 'proceed to checkout' or 'confirm order' option. I know this because I put a load of stuff in my basket last week, opened another window to compare Sainsbury's prices and then was interrupted by children so just closed both windows. My Abel & Cole order then TURNED UP 4 days later! When I explained that I hadn't confirmed my order they explained that their site doesn't expect me to - in my basket = done deal, sale made on their site. Just this once they agreed not to debit my card and to take the goods back (I'd already done my shopping elsewhere) but it's really, really, worth knowing this before you shop. I think it's a huge flaw with the site tbh, I really dislike the fact that putting something in my basket = buying it, esp as I'm often interrupted online. It must be even more of a PITA if you're on dial up and your connection terminates. I used Simplyorganic when I was in Devon and they were fab, huge selection of stuff but I have a feeling they've gone bust. I've looked at Riverford but never bought from them. I mean to try both though so I'll let you know how I get on.

tortoiseshell Sun 24-Apr-05 20:57:07

Thanks for info - have done a one off order from Riverford, so will see how it goes! Thanks for the info about Abel and Cole - that's a rubbish system! Madness! Anyway, will see how Riverford go. Thanks everyone!

SleepyJess Sun 24-Apr-05 21:03:19

Hiya

I have been searching for a week or two to get a service like this. Just been on the Abel & Cole website but I can't see what their service area is..and I don't want to create an account (inc card details etc!) until I know where they deliver.

Where does it say what their delivery service area is?

SJ x

WideWebWitch Sun 24-Apr-05 21:05:48

Are you sure you can't check without creating an account? It does, look at the left hand side of the page, do we deliver in your area?

SleepyJess Sun 24-Apr-05 21:06:04

Oooh just seen WWW's info below! Thanks for that! Yes, lots of the local services in our area have gone bust too.

SJ x

WideWebWitch Sun 24-Apr-05 21:06:26

It's in yellow type on the left, click it and it brings up a postcode finder.

SleepyJess Sun 24-Apr-05 21:06:30

Oh right thanks WWW.. will check again..

NotQuiteCockney Sun 24-Apr-05 21:07:35

On the front page, on the left, there's a link saying "Do we deliver in your area?". You enter your post code, and they'll tell you.

I use Abel and Cole, and really like them. It's got me eating a lot wider variety of fruit and veg than I used to.

Tinker Sun 24-Apr-05 21:09:19

This was a good article in Indie last week about which organic stuff is worth it

For organic buyers - I've read here that carrots and bananas are the one to buy if but nothing else organis. However, bananas have a skin. Why would they be so bad??? Sorry, if it's obvious, but it's been puzzling me.

Xena Sun 24-Apr-05 21:19:59

Hi does anyone have the website for Riverford?

WideWebWitch Sun 24-Apr-05 21:24:20

Riverford

TwinSetAndPearls Sun 24-Apr-05 22:04:08

Reaally interesting programme on the Food programme R4 on this topic and some good links on the food programme website including a website with details of local organic food producers.

TwinSetAndPearls Sun 24-Apr-05 22:07:24

Link to big barn which give details of local organic food retailers or producers
big barn

Food programme website
food programme

Martini Mon 25-Apr-05 02:08:43

My milkman (Dairy Crest) has started doing organic veg boxes too. Seem quite good and it saves on petrol from a seperate delivery

Xena Mon 25-Apr-05 18:03:47

Thanks www checked it but they don't deliver in my area. A shame because they also seemed more reasonable priced

poppy101 Mon 25-Apr-05 20:01:16

I have just started to use Riverford, put in an order every fortnight of a large veg box and milk. Tried their fruit box, but think that it might be too expensive, veg box is definetly worth the money. As I was spending about £25 a week on veg at my local supermarket, now I only spend £13 ish for a fortnight. I find it good as I only use organic food for my lo now and we eat the same more or less.

Flossam Mon 25-Apr-05 20:10:12

www, Are the potatoes in addition to the x amount ofveg in the box? I'm trying to feed DS organic stuff although I am relying more and more heavily on jars as I try and get him to have more tastes (especially savoury). I thought a box might be a good way to go.

FrenchGirl Mon 25-Apr-05 20:12:46

we also use Riverford (have done for about a year now) and love it. We get the small veg box and the fruit box, and are all eating more veg. the winter is a bit long cabbage wise though.... Very happy with lovely delivery man too! Well worth a try.

poppy101 Mon 25-Apr-05 20:16:31

I found that in the large box, tend to get a good size bag of potatoes, leeks, onions, carrots, broccoli, etc. a good selection. We eat alot of potatoes in the house, but will try and see if the large box lasts the fortnight and see if I need to buy extra.

I cook fresh food more or less every day for my lo, only organic and find it really hard to get hold of the right ingredients. So this box seems good, often I would go to the supermarket and find that they didn't have a lot of veg in.

Tinker Mon 25-Apr-05 20:21:54

Started a thread about this but will post it here - Top Ten Organic food websites

poppy101 Mon 25-Apr-05 20:23:28

Saw the link and looked at the Bath organic site, which was interesting. I try and get the rest of my products from the local farmers market, they sell organic meat etc. as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now