Talk

Advanced search

anyone got a great recipe for watercress soup

(11 Posts)
Heathcliffscathy Sat 23-Apr-05 16:46:22

i have watercress and good chicken stock in the house...seems criminal not to attempt it!

JanH Sat 23-Apr-05 16:50:47

I have a good one from Cranks - it's a veggie recipe but you can substitute chicken stock easily enough. Hang on, I will get me book.

SaintGeorge Sat 23-Apr-05 16:51:06

Watercress Soup

I use this recipe but use chicken stock not veggie and I don't add the mint.

Yummy

JanH Sat 23-Apr-05 16:55:29

mine has spud in so it's a bit thicker - this is for one bunch of watercress.

1 medium onion
1 small potato
25g butter or marg
1 bunch watercress
1/2 pint milk
1/2 pint stock
salt & pepper to taste
60ml double cream (or you can use creme fraiche)

Chop onion and potato. Melt butter in saucepan and saute onion until transparent. Add potato, watercress, milk and stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer c. 20 mins. Allow to cool slightly then blend (in pan with stick blender is best way). Adjust seasoning to taste, stir in cream/creme fraiche and reheat to serving temperature.

giraffeski Sat 23-Apr-05 16:56:14

Message withdrawn

Heathcliffscathy Sat 23-Apr-05 17:05:43

ooohhh thanks ladies, these look lovely and v v easy...will do a bit of an improvise based on the principles provided by you all...thanks!

Heathcliffscathy Sat 23-Apr-05 17:45:22

an onion, a stick of celery and two bunches of watercress are wilting on low heat in butter as we speak, sorry type!

giraffeski Sat 23-Apr-05 18:50:36

Message withdrawn

Heathcliffscathy Sat 23-Apr-05 19:18:43

hmmm, tastes lovely but didn't use potato and so is quite thin...also will add watercress to wilt later to preserve colour better next time...thanks everyone...will enjoy with glass of white tonight!

JanH Sat 23-Apr-05 19:32:18

hm, with ref to colour I have to say that the one I make, though delish, looks like pond scum, combination of spud and milk I think.

Heathcliffscathy Sat 23-Apr-05 20:36:52

yep, that would be the one jan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now